creative agency hours - what are they like?

Closed Thread

creative agency hours - what are they like?

i'm currently working at a media agency and the hours are exceptionally long compared to the other media agencies (minimum 12+ hours/day, and never been off before 8:30pm in the last 6 months). more importantly, i'm realizing that media is not my thing and considering making the leap over to the creative side.

just want to know what the hours are like because i heard they're pretty long as well, but i'm used to working until 10pm-3am at this agency so it shouldn't be too bad if the work is more enjoyable.

if anyone's in client services, would love to hear more about the job as well!

thx!!

Do you really have that much work or are you afraid of standing up to your boss and saying working until 10.30pm-3am is silly? In other words, do you partake in the social disease where employees stay extremely late because their colleagues stay and their boss stays all twiddling their thumbs in a futile effort to look like a good, yet inefficient worker?

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Do you really have that much work or are you afraid of standing up to your boss and saying working until 10.30pm-3am is silly? In other words, do you partake in the social disease where employees stay extremely late because their colleagues stay and their boss stays all twiddling their thumbs in a futile effort to look like a good, yet inefficient worker?
    Unfortunately in both creative and media agencies there often really is that much work to do (10-3am is not normal but 12 hour days are common) mostly driven by unreasonable client demands - e.g. very short turnaround times on work / pitches etc. Added to this, for many agencies, are the hiring freezes in place (easing off now) meaning you have less resource to work on the same number of projects / clients.

there really is THAT much work. when i leave work at midnight, the scariest part is that i'm not the last one to leave (there's usually still 5 others left). as Liquorice mentioned, much of this is driven by demanding clients, but also because we're short staffed caused by the high turnover rates and inability to recruit new staff.

Quote Originally Posted by lady.luxe:
    too stingy to recruit new staff.
    I fixed that for ya.

I fixed that for ya.
    LOL. i would've thought that too, but after working there, i realized that no amount of $ would make me stay there.