Like Tree1Likes

Living in Lamma Island..is it good?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Living in Lamma Island..is it good?

Dear Expats

Finally there is a chance for me to move to Hong Kong in couple of months.

I understand Lamma Island is the place where we get a flats at cheaper rent (a simple single bedroom home with a Kitchen) compared to any other place. My Budget would be 5000 HKD per month at maximum. My work place is Central Hong Kong. Is it a best bet to live in Lamma Island and travel by fery every day (perhaps a 30 minute joruney to and fro)? How good is life in Lamma Island?

Where else I can find a home at better rate. Iam single, Male ,Indian (25Y age). Sharing a flat is also an option which I would like to go.

Please suggest

Best Regards

Veeranki

I would not recommend you live in Lamma Island. It is too remote and not convenient unless you got friends there. The only transportation is ferry which is unreliable.

I have no idea why you pick Lamma Island at the very beginning. Do you really enjoy living in an outlying island or somewhere very remote? If so, there is a place called Discovery Bay which is very popular for expats in Hong Kong. The cheapest you can find is around $5k per month. The ferry service between Discovery Bay and Central is much better Lamma Island's.

If you want to live closer to Central, I 'd suggest you look for some cheap apartments near Sheung Wan or Sai Wan. Good luck then.

Bump for Lammarite's input.

Hi Bunny

Thanks a ton for your reply. Yes those are valueable points.

The very reason for me to hang on to Lamma Island is:

1) It seems the words of my young HR shown a better impact on me that...Lamma is good & Cheaper compartively to any other HK Locations. Obviosuly, me as a Indian..cost matters lot.

2) Not sure how Lamma Island would be, I understand, Lamma Island natural beauty is good...to spend on after a day work, especially in the evenings (Iam a kind of fan to beaches like many)

3) I get Better home with cheap rate at Lamma Island.

4) There would be few of my collegues there in Lamma. At early days..may be collegues can help me to understand the working & living environment better (not mandatory for me....but fine if I get).

As a answer to your question 'Do you enjoy remote?" I say Iam a moderate guy..with love to loads of fun in a pool of restuarents and happening nightouts or can chill out with a beer in a lonely Island. Not specific & dont even ask a particular kind of living. Go according to best thing available.

Fery timing from Lamma to Central is alarming me. If Discovery Bay rents fits to my budget..Iam absolutely ok for finding out my way there. Can you help me with a appropraite links / contacts of Discovery Bay.

Iam also looking for the possibility of living in HK Island. Can I get a shared accomodation at the rate of 5k$ there? Any help on contacts?

Thanks in advance for any help

>>>>>>>>Bump for Lammarite's input.

Interesting to see what Lammarite would comment on this

Cheers

Veeranki
    Bangkok

Veeranki...welcome to Geoexpat. You'll like Lamma and the lifestyle will suit you. I'm Indian too. I might be interested in sharing a place out there with you! Some of the apartments are great, people are friendly there and it's a lot cheaper than HK island.

EDIT: The ferries go until 3 am on Monday-Saturday.

http://www.hkkf.com.hk/en/ferry/index.html

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 13-10-2006 at 04:35 PM.

If you're thinking of living on islands, you might want to look at Park Island. The ferry runs 24 hrs. Rent for a 1 bedder is about 6 to 7k. Not sure if that fits into your budget. Ferry rides are little cheaper than Discovery Bay as well. It's HK$11.

There are ferries from Lamma and from Discobay.

In both cases you'll need to subtract the ferry costs from your budget to get to your housing budget? From Discobay to Central 1 way is about 25$, with 20 working days per month that would be 1,000 just for the ferry.

In Discobay you need to pay Management fee on top of the rental and often also government tax. Both are not paid in Lamma.

So, a budget of 5k, 1k for the ferry, 0.5k gov tax, 1k management fee -> I think it's difficult to find a flat in discobay for 2.5k.

From Lamma there are two types of ferries - the fast and the slow. The fast is about 30min and is more expensive than the slow which takes about 1 hour.

I think, in the older parts of between Chai Wan and Kennedy Town you'll find a small hole for 5k.

TST might be OK too. The Starferry costs $2 one way, but the MTR costs about $10 one way between Hong Kong and Kowloon.

Veeranki..

Besides unreliable ferry service to lamma island, you can also get there swimming.

Dude... you are yound and energetic. Live close to work and save your energy. Dont get me wrong. Lamma island maybe a great place to live, but may not be convinient in the long run.

Else, all i can say is Good luck at Lamma island

There is so much misinformation on Lamma in the threads above it is laughable. Please carry on because you're keeping our rents low!

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    There is so much misinformation on Lamma in the threads above it is laughable.
    Really !

Lammarite...we were waiting for you to post your comments for the obvious reason of your name.

Now, your comment is making me feel dearly good !

Can you scribble your words please ?

Cheers
    Veeranki

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast