Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By papaya

Can my wife take a job?

Closed Thread

Can my wife take a job?

Hi,

I just recently moved to HK from India. My wife has a dependent visa.
    She has does her Bachelor in Pharmacy (India) and did a part time course in Clinical Research. Can you she take a job in HK? How are the job opportunities in HK for her profile?

Thanks

She can work as she has a dependent's visa. However for her to work as a pharmacist, she'd have to be licensed.

http://www.pharmacy.cuhk.edu.hk/education/reg_pharm.pdf

Other than that, I'd assume, unless she works for a very expat centric clinic or hospital, she'd need to be able to communicate in Canto.

hello_hk likes this.

shri, are you sure about the permission to work on basis of dependante visa? On dependent visa you are just allowed to stay in HK. If you want to work, you still need working visa. hence you need a sponsor... This is my information, please coment anyone

Quote Originally Posted by papaya:
    shri, are you sure about the permission to work on basis of dependante visa? On dependent visa you are just allowed to stay in HK. If you want to work, you still need working visa. hence you need a sponsor... This is my information, please coment anyone
    You are Wrong.

All people on Dependant Visas (with the one exception of those who are dependant on people who have Study Visas) may work freely.

From The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    Q5: Can dependants admitted under the dependant policy take up employment in Hong Kong?

A5:

Dependants of the following persons are not prohibited from taking up employment in the HKSAR:

1. Hong Kong permanent residents;
    2. persons who are not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. residents with the right to land or on unconditional stay);
    3. persons who have been admitted for employment (as professionals, for investment to establish/join in business or for training); and
    4. entrants under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme or the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.

However, dependants of persons who have been admitted to study are not permitted to take up employment unless they have obtained prior permission from the Director of Immigration.
    hello_hk likes this.

Thanks! Evry day a new lesson!

hello_hk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by papaya:
    Used to be the case for a couple of years during SARS.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Used to be the case for a couple of years during SARS.
    It was and caused huge confusion as it didn't apply to dependants of PR's and several people were completely ignorant of the fact.

Thanks all