Work for an Optometrist

Closed Thread

Work for an Optometrist

Hi All,

I am looking at taking an offer in HK and my fiancee is concerned that she will not be able to get a job in HK as an optometrist.

She's been in higher education for 8 years and is earning a Doctor in Optometry degree from the US. Speaking with fellow colleagues from HK, they tell her that Optometry doesn't really exists as it does in the states. It is more or less go see an optician for your glasses, and if you have diseases you go see a doctor.

Any advice on if she will be able to find work practicing what she loves to do?

A couple of starting points for you.

http://www.hkspo.org.hk/
    http://hkoa.org.hk/main_eng.html

Out of ignorance .. has she thought of getting involved in the CPD side of the business? Fair bit of money in that from what I hear.

I am not sure she is familair with CPD but I saw the information on it. Do you mean she could actually teach the classes?

From what I understand, she is in Australia right now and it seems she knows far more about Optometry than any student in Australia. There is also another student from the US and she feels the same.

Students from HK have told her that she could probably teach classes over there. Is this the CPD?

hi, i'm an optometrist from australia in the same situation. just wondering if your fiacee has finally found a job and whether you could help me with how to go about with the procedure. thank you so much

Hi,

She did and the pay was about 1/4 of what she would mamke in the US so she turned it down. You need to get a license from the Optometry Board in HK and it helps if you speak Canto where there are lots of jobs at the chains like LensCrafters. Her job offer was at the Uni so you might want to look there as well.

Good Luck