Like Tree6Likes

Interview process at Morgan Stanley?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interview process at Morgan Stanley?

Hi all,

I would like to ask how is the interview process for Associate level for Morgan Stanley? The nature of job is back office support.
    How many rounds of interview? How is the process of hiring, etc etc....

Any replies will be appreciated .....

Thanks

just know your current job well, don't try to pretend you know something when you don't.

a normal interview with an IB last 5-6 rounds, include 2~3 of bosses, colleagues, other counterparties in the same company. the traders are generally smart alec and they will ask u all the brain teasing questions. so if u have no idea of something, don't even try to pretend you know it, that's my only advise.

Looking for more response if anyone can add more

Freeier has summarised it for you.

Do not bullshit. Don't say you have done something if you haven't. You will be spotted straight away.

When asked question that you don't know the anser to but have a vague idea, say that you don't know but tell them that logically you think....and then make sure you ask if you were on the right track.

Don't get put off by the quiz type of questions. It's as much to see your logical thinking as it is to see if it unsettles you.

Make sure you can stand by everything you have said on your CV becuase one of the most common ways to start the interview is to ask you to summarise your experience and then the interviewer will ask you more detailed questions.

Think about failures and what you learnt from them and how you would do the same task differently.

Exibit (only if asked !) examples of you having challenged your manager or people more senior to you.

Btw, no one really cares that you like cooking and photography and a round of golf every week-end. Stay away from that side of things.

One of the biggest problems I have when I interview people in HK is the sheer number of people that come in late (remember that MS is in Exchng Sq and get there in time to know which tower, which lift to take etc) Showing up to the building 5mins before the interview is cutting it fine. Next: switch off that bloody mobile phone !!! I once asked someone to leave because his mobile went off 3 times in the interview and he actually answered the phone.

What back-office funtion is it ?

Good luck !

Last edited by Katanga; 05-01-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typos
    Football16 and Fiona in HKG like this.

Yes, those Exchange Square towers are always confusing! MS is on Edinburgh Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by ltcommander:
    Yes, those Exchange Square towers are always confusing! MS is on Edinburgh Tower.
    You must be really confused !! Edinburgh Tower is in the Landmark not Exchange Square.

That is quite useful.
    I would also like to know whether they go more technical or they will look for personality traits, leader competencies etc also.

which skills play major role in interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    You must be really confused !! Edinburgh Tower is in the Landmark not Exchange Square.
    Oops, my bad! Apologies!

funnie > depends on the job, depends on the interviewer.
    which essentially says nothing much. hahaa

MS seems to focus less than its competitors on asking technical questions, or that is word on the street.

Be ready to answer any and all questions regarding your resume.
    Be ready for "tell me about yourself"
    Just be very friendly. MS people really want to hire people they think they would get along with, moreso than a really good resume.

Although, I'd have to caveat with the above poster, depends on position, depends on interviewer!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast