Like Tree1Likes

Freelance editing / copywriting rates

Closed Thread

Freelance editing / copywriting rates

Hi everyone,

May I know what are the going rates for freelance copyediting and writing in HK? I have an opportunity to do some freelance editing for a financial communications company, and I only have the vaguest idea as to how much to charge. This is my first foray into freelancing, though I've been an editor/writer for almost nine years.

I've done some research and found a few HK language services companies that have their rates posted online. Their rates are anywhere between HKD 0.30 to HKD 0.50 per word. For writing, it seems that the rates are anywhere between HKD 2 to HKD 5 per word, I'm just not sure whether these "writing" rates are for writing print / online articles or for creating content for marketing communications materials. Are the above rates reasonable?

Thanks for your help!

It's impossible to say what's 'reasonable' without knowing the client's expectations. The larger, more professional companies have to factor-in the cost of rent, salaries, MPF contributions and all the other things that push up prices. Indpendents, however, may work from home or from Starbucks for minimal cost. They can undercut the bigger firms significantly, as you can see from this ad, on Gumtree.

Clients who like the reassurance of dealing with big firms, will doubtless be used to paying for that peace of mind. Clients who like to use freelance editors, however, might be expecting more of a 'value for money' proposition.

Whatever level you set your fees at, be sure to cover your behind by registering a sole proprietorship (at least) and setting up an MPF account for yourself. This is covered in more details in other threads in the business forum. Essentially, even if you have the right to live and work in Hong Kong without a visa, all work needs to be done either through a company or by way of a hawker's licence.

Yes, I know there are plenty of people in Hong Kong whose visas don't allow it, or who have not registered a company, and yet who advertise freelance services on Gumtree and on notice boards in their local Park 'n' Shop, and yes, by-and-large they get away with it. Still, if you are going to be dealing with large, corporate clients (rather than, say, university students), then it would be as well to cover your bases.