resume and interview skills in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

resume and interview skills in Hong Kong

Hi all,

I just arrived in Hong Kong from Canada two weeks ago. Although I am familiar with the format style of writing a resume and going through an interview in Canada, I wonder would it be a big contrast in Hong Kong? In other words, would Hong Kong companies accept my resume that I use in Canada? Also, would there be a huge difference between Hong Kong and Canada in terms of how they process the interview?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

If your resume is good no reason to change it other than to be sure you target the right things for each job applied for. We see many types of resumes here in this region and unlike Canada many have a lot of personal details and their photo most of which if you add this in Canada makes you look like you don't know the employment law basics.

There is no reason if you meet the qualifications here (depends on visa and language situation of course) your Canadian background and resume won't be accepted.

Interviews are pretty much the same all over. Difference in skill levels of course and if they have professional HR interviewers of course vs a local SME but that is the same in Canada too.

Welcome to Hong Kong. I'm from Canada too. I just want to say that I got my job using my Canadian way of resume. I didn't put my gender and photo in my resume. But, my employer is an expat, so it is understandable.

Another reason why I didn't do what people do here is because I'm zero at Cantonese, and I have a bad habit which is my stubbornness in keeping my ideals on discrimination etc etc....

In conclusion, that Canadian resume format could work. I won't recommend it but it still works.

Fellow Canuck. As other say, format is about the same. Most people use the word 'resume' but you may hear 'CV' as well. Unlike Canada, employers may request your picture. Also, in interviews you may be asked whether you have kids or plan to have them, how old you are, are you married and how old your wife/husband is, what your wife/husband does for a living, what your religions is, etc. That is more likely to happen at SMEs or even bigger local companies. I'd be inclined to believe at multinationals they are more sensitive about these things.

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    If your resume is good no reason to change it other than to be sure you target the right things for each job applied for. We see many types of resumes here in this region and unlike Canada many have a lot of personal details and their photo most of which if you add this in Canada makes you look like you don't know the employment law basics.

There is no reason if you meet the qualifications here (depends on visa and language situation of course) your Canadian background and resume won't be accepted.

Interviews are pretty much the same all over. Difference in skill levels of course and if they have professional HR interviewers of course vs a local SME but that is the same in Canada too.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. However, I still have some other questions. What is a local SME? In addition, what kind of photo are they looking for in terms of size, and how they must be taken? To be frank, I felt this is weird asking me for a photo (and now I probably need to take tons to apply for jobs), as I am not applying for models or entertainment industry. It makes me feel that appearance weights heavily instead of qualification on the position.

HK is about qualifications and ability to do a job and not about being pretty in a chair. Sometimes if you are in sales or customer service then image is alot in HK/China so photos can get requested. Generally in office environments its not required so it's not so sensative as some might think. I get alot of resumes across my desk and probably about 10-15% have photos.

Last edited by virago; 18-09-2010 at 03:00 PM.

i believe SME means Small / Medium Enterprise or some sort like that?

Quote Originally Posted by anastar:
    Hi, thanks for your reply. However, I still have some other questions. What is a local SME? In addition, what kind of photo are they looking for in terms of size, and how they must be taken? To be frank, I felt this is weird asking me for a photo (and now I probably need to take tons to apply for jobs), as I am not applying for models or entertainment industry. It makes me feel that appearance weights heavily instead of qualification on the position.
    It's not about being pretty. Some employers just want to make sure you are of the right race. Charming, isn't it?

Hi everyone,

I'm Canadian too!! =)

Was just wondering what is the typical dress code here? I'm a girl and I've noticed that some to the dressing here is quite different (as it could be the fact that they are on lunch) but I'm also looking for a job and want to make the right impression. I'm dying from the heat so ideally I would like to be as comfortable as possible without making the wrong impression.

Any advice anyone? And also, anyone hiring??? =)

ling

errr...Subject Matter Expert

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast