Work and salary expectations

Closed Thread

Question Work and salary expectations

I've been offered a job as a junior corporate lawyer in HK (coming from the UK).

I just want to check that I'm getting a right ballpark in terms of salary / package. I know there are so so many variables that would determine my particular situation, but wanted to get a rough outlook.

The basic salary would be 70k hkd a month. I would get medical and dental, along with a contributary pension (I put in 5% and my employer puts in 5%).

They will provide me with a US$2k moving allowance, a one way ticket to HK and a serviced flat for one month.

My contracted hours would be Monday to Friday and on Saturday morning a month. Annual holiday is 20 days with two additional "personal days" (at present I'm on 27 days a year).

After tax my salary is going up by about 25%, but I would be due a salary review at my present firm in a month or two (where I reckon I would be getting a 10% salary increase).

At present where I work, my hours are pretty much 8.30am - 6 / 6.30pm. Now I know this is a very subjective topic, but what would I be expecting in Hong Kong. I'm presuming the hours will be longer.

I would greatly appriciate comments on the package above. Is this standard for a corporate law firm and for someone of my level of experience? Thanks!!!

What level PQE are you? Are you working at a British (MC) firm, or at a US firm?

I know that trainees at those firms are on about 40-45k/month, so if you are around 1/2 PQE, that should be roughly what you should expect.

Quote Originally Posted by howill:
    What level PQE are you? Are you working at a British (MC) firm, or at a US firm?

I know that trainees at those firms are on about 40-45k/month, so if you are around 1/2 PQE, that should be roughly what you should expect.
    Hi

I would be coming in as about 1 - 2 PQE. The firm is a large corporate but neither MC or US.

Thanks!

I do think thats quite a decent salary. You shouldn't worry too much.

When you say 'a large corporate', do you mean private practice or in-house at a corporation?

If its private practice, I believe that your hours would generally be longer, than if you were to work inhouse.

I think you should come here for the experience - its very different than to working in the UK! Plus, the low tax rate (12-15% flat rate)means that your take-home pay may be much larger than what you can expect in the UK.

howill

Quote Originally Posted by howill:
    I do think thats quite a decent salary. You shouldn't worry too much.

When you say 'a large corporate', do you mean private practice or in-house at a corporation?

If its private practice, I believe that your hours would generally be longer, than if you were to work inhouse.

I think you should come here for the experience - its very different than to working in the UK! Plus, the low tax rate (12-15% flat rate)means that your take-home pay may be much larger than what you can expect in the UK.

howill
    Hi, large private practice firm, but not a MC or US!!

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Hi, large private practice firm, but not a MC or US!!

Thanks for your help!

Ooh intriguing, I wonder who it is?

I might be working for MLA when I head back to HK so I might need your help!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ooh intriguing, I wonder who it is?

I might be working for MLA when I head back to HK so I might need your help!
    MLA?

As for name of firm, if I even say the type of firm it is, it will be a bit of a give away! Sorry. Do PM me though.

Am actually in the process of accepting the offer. There are a few terms of the contract I'm not keen on, but the chance to come to HK, is too strong a draw!!

Hmm can't edit my lasst post.

Oh well just an update have accepted my offer, Hong Kong here I come in 4 months!!