Spore fresh graduate to work in HK advertising field

Closed Thread

Spore fresh graduate to work in HK advertising field

Hi all,

I will be graduating from the National University of Singapore next year with a degree in Communications and New Media.

I would like to ask what are the chances of me landing an advertising job in Hong Kong? Will the firms favour an expat? I do speak cantonese, english and mandarin fluently. Also, as an expat, will we be provided accomodation? Because of the high standards of living in HK, i am afraid my entry pay will not be sufficient.

In addition, how do i go about searching for jobs in this field? I have looked through the job papers while in HK, but found none. Any recommendations?

Would really appreciate any help.

Regards,
    Ken

for fresh grads
    - generally not easy because there is no basis for them to help u apply for a visa, what make u so special that they can't employ a hk fresh grad to do the job
    - quantitatively u have to secure a minimum pay of 20k hkd to get the visa
    - at entree level not many firms wld give housing allowance. u have to figure out how to get through.
    - so think in the company's perspective, if you think u have something that the employer would want then yes... else tough .

Unless you have right to live and work in HK (you speak cantonese, any family from HK?) then I'd say slim to none

To be honest, unless you get into AD / CD posts, fresh grads getting a visa to HK in creative as junior is out of the question. FYI, creatives in HK start as low as 7k HKD/month.....

i have the same sort of situation actually -- just graduated from uk with graphic design -- coming to hk to find some design work. But im thinking my chances are very slim even tho i had a months work experiance in a hk design studio last year. it will be tough but i feel determined to do it -- hope i can.

any advice for me that could help me out?

Well, I think the same rule(s) of thumb applies anywhere when it comes to applying for design jobs. The most important is to prepare an immaculate resume (please spell check this, and make sure the grammar and spelling are 100% correct. Layout / typography counts, so does content hierachy) and a solid portfolio.

As a junior, firms are interested in your potential to learn and grow with the firm, and don't get too bummed if firms don't hire you. It might not mean your work is not good at all.. just not their "style". Make sure your portfolio is organized and structured. While you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a designer portfolio-binder, having a decent leaflet folder with good work, that's organized and labelled are important. You are in a market where work is related to packaging and appearance, so your work should be able to speak for itself with the best presentation possible even if you had a flu and cannot speak during an interview. Dress politely to an interview, business casual is fine.

While I cannot really tell you how the work environment as a junior is like in Hong Kong, my experiences as a junior in Toronto taught me a few things:

1) be humble - you have LOTS to learn
    2) listen
    3) OT's are not avoidable, so you might as well gnaw through it
    4) if you screwed up, let someone know, don't try to fudge it

Good luck, the field is highly competitive and very cut throat! I am starting my first in Hong Kong as Sr. AD

Hi
    so the requirement for visa is at least $20k a month?

it seems like the chances of coming over are quite slim. =(

In addition, if I have no right to stay in HK, they will not consider my application?

Last edited by klmhao; 06-11-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Hi coffeemeow,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I was thinking of applying for a post of Accounts Exec, to pitch proposals and clinch deals. What are the chances of clinching this post? And how is the pay like at entry level?

It will be great to hear from someone like u from the industry.
    Appreciate it!

Ken

I am not sure about the markets in Singapore. For account executives in Hong Kong pay start as low as 7k and reach to about 12-14k for a junior. I am not sure about the VISA application processes, since I was born in Hong Kong though...

Smile

Hi coffeemeow
    yeah thanks for the advice -- will take it all on board.

good luck with your job in hk - i think thats what you meant by

'Good luck, the field is highly competitive and very cut throat! I am starting my first in Hong Kong as Sr. AD '