Remuneration package in HK: Is this reasonable?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Hello every helpful ones out there,

Been month since I last wrote, reason being is the interview of the job WAS still ongoing previously.... and I was also very busy with my current job.

It was a pleasant surprise to see so much being posted since the last time I log in. However, there is a news I need to spill out. Thanks everyone for the great help. Perhaps I was too contingently planning, things did not get that far. I was told i fulfill every details and requirements of the job, BUT... the company have decided to target on employment of male staff instead So being a female, I was disqualified. Yes, I was only told about this after several interviews, which I initially and still felt positive about. Anyhow, employers have the choice.

Anyhow, it was a plesant experience. The interviews, of which eventually led me to the discovery of this great forum site!! Devastated though that I am unable to go HK for the job. As all along I was rather fascinated by the culture, environment, people and even the delicious food of HK! It's perhaps largely affected by my pleasant experience during my previous vacation in HK. Everyone was very friendly and helpful! I guess if it was meant to be, other opportunities would come along. Or I could always go for a visit huh?

Anyway, I guess the queries I posted and the generous advice and anwers offered will never be a waste. It will be my future reference if the right opportunity knocks again, and at the same time, I hope it serves as a good source of reference to others who are in midst of negotiating a remuneration package in HK. Good luck for those of you out there

I think i will continue to visit this forum, for its the best I have seen so far! Thank you everyone... And wishing everyone a great weekend ahead!!! Tata

regards,
    Zunzhine.

ouch such reasoning... anyway all the best for your future endeavours

Quote Originally Posted by ZunZhine:
    Hello every helpful ones out there,

I was told i fulfill every details and requirements of the job, BUT... the company have decided to target on employment of male staff instead So being a female, I was disqualified. Yes, I was only told about this after several interviews, which I initially and still felt positive about. Anyhow, employers have the choice.
    Is this legal? in HK? Discrimination based on gender? Just asking the question.

certain things are never easy to prove.
    e.g. they tell you the job require bringing japanese clients to hot spa in japan and going into the public hotspring naked with the client.. do u think that can be proven in court ?

In general is HK workplace a sexist place?

I thought it was quite equal, just by looking at the number of women working (and just looking at the number of women working in my office and the fact the the vast majority of the senior (and actually junior) employees where I work are women).

No, I wouldn't consider HK a 'sexist' place per se.

It's just that when it comes to employment practices, some things have beome quite accepted through the years (or rather, nobody has successfully taken legal action against such practices).

eg. asking for a photograph from an applicant, asking about your marital status (presumably favoring those w/o family commitments for jobs that involve a lot of travel), etc.

On the whole, I think it's fair to say that gender-wise, HK is very up-to-par with other developed countries, but in terms of hiring culture, it's still very much one where the employer has slightly more bargaining chips on his end of the table.

Sorry to add...no matter how uncomfortable with the difference in culture and working environment I still have to adjust and adapt with my teeth sharpen and ears widen....

Thanks sp1key... that's nice of you. Wishing the same to you too!!! Have a great new week ahead!

Hmmm... like what freeier mentioned is true as well (though I guess in this case the example is not exactly the scenario)

And if they are being sexist. I choose to think that the employer is not. Probably due to the nature of the job, or to balance out the male:female ratio of his team he tried to get a guy instead. Nothing wrong I suppose...just that the "so near yet to far feeling" kindda "ouccchhh" and difficult to get over. And life is so ironic, after not getting the offer, I hear ppl around me going Shanghai, HK for work, trip etc. And some guy I know have been contacted for this same job! but did not take it up. haha... talking about rubbing salt to wound.
    I am not mad at anyone that the job did not choose me, I am just a little hurt with his (the employer's and agent's) false hope. I keep reminding myself....COME ON!!Get over it!!! Still trying........Haha. Yes, I am the kind who needs a little longer for the wounds to heal.

As for Melissa, been some time since you're there. Hope you have got used and having fun now

Oppsssyyy... running late for an appointment... wishing everyone a great day and more fun days ahead!!! Tata...and be back to catch up on any updates soon!! Take care

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4