commercial property in NT

Closed Thread

commercial property in NT

i'm looking to find a village house type set up that can be used for a commercial property anywhere in NT.

does anyone know any agents that might be able to help?

Thanks!

carang,

Most of the agents can help on this one. A lot of village houses can be rented as either residential or commercial, although if they are to be used for commercial use then the rental is genarally higher. If you have an idea of where you would like to set up in NT go and see agents in the area.

thanks, the problem is i want everything above board and in complicance with gov't regulations... when i called an agent in sia kung... he said, do whatever you want with the property... that didn't sound right to me...

ideally, i want a property that can be used for commercial purposes AND residential. or two adjoining properties, one for commercial and one for residential...

Hmm, I think some agents are better clued up than others. Not sure about Sai Kung area but in Sha Tin many village houses, especially on busy roads or areas with high pedestrian traffic, have been converted to shops, offices, beauty parlours, restaurants with owners living above them or nearby. Whole houses are being used commercially, and even the 7-11 chain use them. We have used a village house in a busy area for commericial use ourselves.

that's good to know...
    did you have any problems regarding zoning? or are the houses zoned for commercial/residential?

did you have to run a check with the lands dept?

we really don't mind where in NT we set up... ideally we'd love to stick with Lantau, but i'm open to suggestions...any idea where the rental would be the most reasonable? we'd need at least 2000' for commercial and at least 1500' for residential...ideally with a large garden/outdoor area surrounding...

i guess for the sizes that i'd need, we'd need to rent two entire houses, right? i wonder if it's possible to get two houses next to each other?

No problems at all. We rented though, so maybe different. Onus is on the owners, it states in the lease that it is for commercial purposes.

For the sizes you state then, yes, you will need 2 houses due mainly in part to the restrictions on the land originally allocated to local villagers many years ago that couldn't have a footprint of more than 700sq ft and couldn't be more than 24" high - hence the 3 story village house with a total of 2100sq ft. Those rules have been changed in recent years as have the ownership rules which is why developers in recent years have been able to buy land and build houses.

Anyway if your looking for a garden as well then you do need to be looking in Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay or the areas outside Tai Po - towards Tai Mei Tuk or out Tai Wo way - in fact there are some lovely properties between Tai Wo and Fanling and of course prices are cheaper. Maybe you should do some research on the prices in various areas first and once you've found the price range you feel comfortable with start to prepare for setting up your venture.

thanks... i'd like to do that, my probelm is that i'm confined to a wheelchair now until the end of my pregnancy(3.5 months to go!), so it makes getting out and about a little difficult. i'd like to find as much info as possible first and try to narrow down the choices before heading out.

i lived in CWB for two year back in 1996...wouldn't mind going back out there, but thought the prices might be cheaper elsewhere.

thanks, you've been very helpful!