Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cathy789

UK crimial record carried out to HK?

Closed Thread

UK crimial record carried out to HK?

Hi, I have a British friend who get crimial record in May in 2010. I am just wondering does this crimial record effect him to get a good job in the HK? Or does he need to carry it to the HK even live here? Or it's all matter about the accusation he committed? I think everyone could get a new chance to move on the new life. Apperciate for answering!

The only visa which requires a criminal record check, as far as I know, is the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme. Obviously some jobs also require a criminal record check (or declaration). Making a false declaration would be grounds for immediate dismissal if discovered. But apart from those certain jobs (working with children or some jobs in finance, etc) it isn't common for employers to ask about criminal records.

I would say, yes it does as that record is so fresh the ink is not dry on the conviction report.

Job applications ask about criminal records in many cases and given it just happened it would be a long way from a spent conviction.

It is not a good policy to lie as you can then be dismissed for cause at any time over the course of employment. For some employers it depends on what it is for. Theft type convictions seem to fare less well than do minor drug convictions. The key though is that this is so very recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Job applications ask about criminal records in many cases
    I'd be interested to see data on what proportion "many" actually is (obviously it will vary by field). In my career with, I guess, about a dozen job applications getting to that stage I was never once asked about any criminal record, and there was at most one job where any background checking was done (due to national security clearance).

Some companies not only ask you to declare whether you have previous convictions, but also to sign an authorization which allows them to do criminal record checks in all the countries you've previously lived. It depends on the industry and the nature of the job.

Question

Hi there
    Thanks for all the feedbacks!

But does it only the case in HK? Or in China? Is there any law differences between Britian and HK?

Thanks again!

Hong Kong's law basically mirrors that of UK's. However, the issue here is whether the prospective employer would check the person's credentials, and if so, how deeply. I believe industries such as banking & finance, accounting, medicine, education, law, would conduct pretty vigilant checks, esp. when senior positions are involved.

What profession is your friend in? And what kind of trouble was he involved with?

With most jobs the employer would ask re the criminal records. And if he wants a teaching job in a school, then the questions will definitely be asked and he will need to provide proof that he hasn't got a criminal record which he can obtain from his own country.

Football16 likes this.

i've never been asked, and i've worked in HK for the past 12 years in a variety of roles.. multiple roles in teaching, in finance.. HK is different to the west folks.