Like Tree1Likes

UK vs. US law degrees

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Even if they start in 2027, what do you propose the OP does for the first 12 years after s/he graduates?
    how about work and get experience?

Most lawyers good enough to walk into Oxbridge (as the OP thinks s/he is) will have earned enough to retire within 12 years of graduating!

i rest my case.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem arrogant when talking about Oxbridge. My qualifications are more of a match for KCL and UCL, but I'm applying to Cambridge in hope that I'll luckily get an offer.

And as for practicing in HK, I'm fine with practicing US or UK law there, not local law. That's probably what I prefer because I hear the salary/benefits are much better than those of local lawyers. I"m going to try working in the US or UK first and then transfer over to HK, so I get an expat package. What differences are there between the amount of jobs and the salaries in Hong Kong for a US vs. UK trained lawyer?

If you already have a US bachelors degree you might find that by doing a law conversion course (GDL/CPE) followed by a legal practice course (LPC) may be faster

My brother went down this route with a UK non-law degree and studied here BPP Law School UK - Legal education - London, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham & Bristol Schools

In order to get your US degree recognised you may need to look here UK NARIC - Home

I don't have a US bachelor's degree yet. And I would rather get a law degree because some countries, like the US, require one to practice law.

From wikipedia

"For the most part, foreign law graduates seeking admission to the bar in the United States will find their LL.B. law degree does not of itself fulfill the core admission requirements of most states, thereby not allowing them to take the bar exam.

The major exception to this is New York, where those foreign graduates who have fulfilled the educational requirements to practice law in another common law country through study at an approved educational institution, similar in both duration and content to the equivalent teaching at an approved U.S. law school, are permitted to sit for the bar exam.[25] Additionally, both New York and Massachusetts permit Canadian LL.B. holders to take the bar exam.[26] The requirements of each of the states vary, and in some states sufficient years of practice in one's home country may allow for those otherwise excluded to sit for the bar exam. Interested applicants should check the requirements of each state bar association carefully as requirements vary markedly.

Most states require completion of a law degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association. As a result, American law schools typically offer one-year LL.M. programs for foreign attorneys; many such law schools may have no other LL.M. programs. Classes included in these "American Law" "Comparative Law" inter alia LL.M. programmes are selected to introduce foreign attorneys to American-style common law practice, such as first-year J.D. courses on civil procedure, Constitutional law, criminal law, legal research and analysis, and jurisprudence"

Therefore a first degree in UK law won't help either in the US

US law schools do not appear to be a good deal

America's law schools and firms: Trouble with the law | The Economist

penguinsix likes this.

Hi,

You can take the LLB->LLM route and while that may qualify you in NY you'll find it tough to get a job in most of the US and even if you do you'll often find yourself without much work (unless your firm is doing cross-border work with your home country). A NY attorney cannot practice in say California or Florida or another state without some reciprocity (which often requires a JD or sitting for a local bar exam). They'll be considered a 'foreign attorney' and that makes it difficult to find a job. It's quite a complicated system though the ABA is planning a major review of reciprocity rules in the next few years.

Here in HK you have to ask what kind of law are you looking to do? While most of the 'law' here is based on UK-like law and case histories, many of the 'deals' you'll be doing, if a corporate attorney, will be based on Chinese law or more often than not US law (IPO rules, US investment rules, etc).

If a corporate and finance career is in the works, than I really don't think it matters where you study. If you are looking to do more localized legal matters here in HK, than a UK or even an HK law degree might be in order. And finally, are you just going to be in HK for a decade or so to make your millions and then return (to where?) to raise a family are you thinking of long-term roots in Hong Kong. Probably in your best interest to plan for 10-20 year time frame not the first five years out of school.

Oh, and the fth has done a great service by listing that link--there are some huge expenses with a US law degree that could sink you before you even get started.