Like Tree1Likes

UK vs. US law degrees

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK vs. US law degrees

I am currently a student in the US and want to go back to Hong Kong for work to reunite with my family. I can either go to the UK for an undergraduate law degree or to the US for a graduate law degree. Would a UK degree (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL) or a US degree (from a top 20 law school) open more career opportunities for me? Are there differences in salaries/benefits depending on what degree I obtain?

I'm not a lawyer, but since the HK legal system is based on the UK one then intuitively a UK degree should open a wider range of possibilities, including all aspect of local law, rather than just international corporate stuff that would seem to be the main use here for a US lawyer.

But if you are sufficiently confident (arrogant) about your own ability as to be sure you could just walk into an Oxbridge degree then it shouldn't really matter - if you're right then you're good enough to get a fancy job regardless of what degree you get.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

But if you are sufficiently confident (arrogant) about your own ability as to be sure you could just walk into an Oxbridge degree then it shouldn't really matter - if you're right then you're good enough to get a fancy job regardless of what degree you get.
    Remember they would be an overseas student, the much higher fees tend to open doors at the moment. When I did my masters it was 20 UK students, now the same course is made up of 30 Chinese students.

Even at Oxbridge? That would surprise me somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Even at Oxbridge? That would surprise me somewhat.
    The world is not what it was I'm afraid. I know they are loaded but even so faced with massive cut backs who would you admit? Not saying they would take in any thick git. Mind you I lived in Oxford for 10 years and many there seemed to hide their intelligence incredibly well. Luckily my family have always supported the light blues.

I am an American lawyer in HK with local degrees as well. The choice is simple, because you will have more options later. Get the UK law degree. its undergraduate and shorter. If you want to practice in HK, just do the PCLL and you are done, minus the solicitor trainee-ship/pupillage. HOWEVER, if you want to practice in the US, you only need to earn a one year LLM and can then take the bar in most states - what most mainlanders do. If you earn a US law degree, practicing in HK is a real pain in the ass. You will either need to go back to school or take the foreign lawyers exam, which has like a 3% pass rate (thank you conveyancing!).

Last edited by packy_crusher; 27-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.

wouldnt unis in hong kong be the best options? hong kong law working in hong kong? or even chinese unis. we will adopt the chinese legal system, sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    we will adopt the chinese legal system, sooner rather than later.
    Er, well no sooner than 2047 which is probably a little late for someone going to Uni now...

well, if they are going to implement it, it'll probably take 15 to 20 years. he/she is right on time.

Even if they start in 2027, what do you propose the OP does for the first 12 years after s/he graduates?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast