Like Tree10Likes

ABC thinking about teaching English in HK: Should I even bother?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ABC thinking about teaching English in HK: Should I even bother?

I'll be starting university next year, and have always thought of going to Hong Kong to teach English after obtaining a Master in Teaching ESOL. I'm an Australian born Chinese, and I hold a HKid.

However, I was recently advised by a cousin that racial discrimination was rife in teaching in Hong Kong, and you'll instantly be on back foot once you walk into an interview and they see you're not white. A forum search here seems to confirm this.

Reports of being unable to find work, low pay and judgement from parents doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

This is where I need help. Do you guys have any tips or advice where I can start out? There are quite a few conflicting information that left me quite confused

eg.
    1. go to learning centers to get experience initially, then apply for a high school as they won't hire someone with no experience at all
    2. don't bother trying out for learning centers, they only accept English teachers based on their skin colour, if they do, you'll get the worst job with the worst pay. Directly try to get into a government school, and if you're lucky, an international school

Or should I simply not bother with teaching, as there are better careers out there to pursue in Hong Kong?

I'm not sure a year long Masters is the best route for you to go at this point.

If you want to teach in state schools/international schools then you should look into doing a PGDE or Australian equivalent, as a Masters doesn't confer you the same qualified teacher status (unless the route to QTS is different in the Australia...?) or if you're happy to work in language centres then a short course Cert. TESOL is sufficient initially.

Re the race issue, yes, it does seem to be a problem with some of the language/tutorial centres, but there are plenty of ethnically Chinese teachers teaching English in HK. So it is possible to get work, but you might experience a few more knock backs than a similarly qualified white applicant.

Your last question suggests you're not even sure you want to be a teacher...figure this bit out before you spend time and money on any qualifications!

Football16 and chickenpop like this.

please, do not go into teaching because you "couldn't come up with anything better". we don't need any more teachers out there that don't give a fig. you make it more difficult for those of us that actually enjoy what we do and find enjoyment and fulfillment from it.

to answer your questions:
    1) yes, you will have a more difficult time being non-white, that said, there are many english teachers here who are not white. they just had to be more persistant in their job search.
    2) you will need a proper teacher qualification and experience if you want to get a job in an international school, and possibly even to work as a NET in a gov't school.
    3) salary and conditions vary greatly depending on school/centre, hours worked, your experience, your qualifications, school/centre location etc.

chickenpop likes this.

Cheers for the concern, but I can assure you guys that I definitely do want to teach, as I see it as a very satisfying profession where you can actually help people. It was just that I thought momentarily that it was pretty much impossible to get a job due to the race issue, but since that is not the case, I'm very determined to follow my dream.

The master would also enable full teaching certification in both secondary and primary schools in Australia. I remember reading that one could go into an English based school where you can teach other subjects, except it has to be taught in English. Eg. Teaching science, except the teacher has to use English. Would this be ideal with more job opportunities?

Regarding working as a NET in a government school, is it actually possible to be a 'normal' English teacher? For instance, there must be plenty of government schools with Chinese Hong Kong born English teachers, so I could possibly apply as a fresh graduate as a 'normal' English teacher to look to gain some experience and learn from the other teachers, and then later down the track consider my options. Is it a possible route, or are there some holes in it?

Thanks for the help

If you want to be a subject teacher in a school, you'll generally need a first degree in that subject and then a post-grad teaching qualification. So, if your first degree is in science and then you get a teaching qualification, you can apply for jobs as a science teacher.

There are EMI (English as the Medium of Instruction) schools in HK where all subjects except Chinese and Putonghua are taught in English. I think there are around 110 EMI schools (out of 800+ local schools) and then of course international schools that use English too.

I honestly have no idea how easy it is for overseas born Chinese to get jobs as teachers in the local system. I know some who work in international schools here. All came over with some teaching experience though. I do know a few ABCs/CBCs who are employed as TAs in both local and international schools. It's low pay, but it's a good way to get school-based experience.

There's more than enough work out there, especially at private language centers or with private students. Being white helps but it is not necessary. The pay varies enormously.

Word or warning.
    We are recruiting staff for teaching projects in China for Fortune 500 companies.

Question to company for an upcoming project.
    " Would you accept the President of the USA coming to teach the class"
    " Of course "
    " So, we have for you an American Citizen , Born in LA, US educated up to college standard "
    " That s good "
    " His mother and father are Korean "
    " He wouldn't suit us at all, we want a NET "
    .... long sigh and roll of eyes.
    We try all the time but find if it ain't white... it ain't right or any colour will do just not yellow or light shades of brown. I suppose they have no problem with Black because they imagine the police will get them at the border on drug smuggling charges because that's what they hear on the news. HK is much the same if you get behind the armoured door.

Last edited by Boris; 03-10-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Yes, some employer's even used to advertise that they were looking for 'foreigner face' but in HK, at least, there is a more enlightened-sometimes. If you are a native speaker with a university degree and, importantly, the right to work in HK you will be able to find work, full stop. I have worked alongside ABC NETs enough to know for a fact that it is at least possible. The doors will not be closed to you here because of internalized racism or whatever. Some professional whiners on this forum will try to paint that picture but they are not fully informed. PM when you get here and I can recommend you to some of my contacts who are always looking for qualified teachers of any complexion.

Skyhook, chickenpop and albertchan like this.

it WILL take you longer to find something, but if you are qualified and have experience, you should be able to find something.

PM when you get here and I can recommend you to some of my contacts who are always looking for qualified teachers of any complexion.
    -- codicil -- and get paid according until a white face come along and " your not needed any more ".

Yes there are jobs BUT....................................... and you have to understand the BUT.
    I am NOT a teacher but as part of my consultancy work I see what I say every time I have to look into issues of recruitment. Everybody here ( like in the mainland ) has a friend who can help. Just judge what's offered with the reality of the local market and always have an out up your sleeve; because here, more than anywhere else, its about the business. You get more money with a white face and the business has more face when its white.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast