What to do...??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to do...??

Does anyone work for an Architect?
    At present I work for an architects in Manchester UK but want a change.

A friend of mine works at a large practice in Manchester that has an office in Hong Kong, they have offered me a job but I’ll have to work in Manchester for a min of 6 months before they’ll consider me for a transfer.
    If I was to jack my job here and just come out to Hong Kong armed with CV would that be a wise move?
    I’ve been told that the transfer option is the most likely to get me a 2 year work permit (that was by them and they want me in the Manchester office… I have a feelin’ I could end up trapped there forever…haha)

I get the impression most expats on the site are money people working in banks and/or finance… but if anyone has any pointers, tips or experience then any help would be gratefully received.

By the way I’m an architectural assistant of 20 years not a qualified Architect will this make a big difference to my job prospects?

The other option is to sell up and come for 6 months and just sit…

With thanks

Phil

A transfer is normally the easiest option for a lot of people.

That will ensure that you have a job they day you arrive here in HK.

Sure, there is an option to pack up and land .. but you'll have to go through the interview process and then the visa approval could take another 4-6 weeks.

Why not do the stint in Manchester and get transfered? Unless you think they're going to lock you up on a cellar out there ...

Hullo there,
    Check out the recruitment web pages of the likes of Michael Page and Hudson. Hong Kong and China are going through some dramatic changes with regards to the demand and supply of skilled/ experienced staff (hence the emergence of recruitment companies opening offices in the area). Due to the skill shortage, many companies are using recruitment companies to attract from overseas, a decent recruitment consultant in your field can advise on the opportunities that exist as well as the logistics of actually emmigrating and work visas, then you've also got the funky monkey nutters on here to help you out as well.
    All I suggest is in this sort of market conditions, be very careful on WHICH recruitment companies you talk to, always make sure they have a good history, reputation and track record, there are allot of them popping up that are not very ethical in the way they do things, so make sure you interview them as well as the other way around. Allot of people forget that with recruitment companies YOU are the one in control, not them.
    "They are like putty in your hands!" (or maybe clay, or jelly....or fudge, yeah that's it......fudge)

Thanks for the replies... yes i was thinking of trying the recruitment consultant route. Would you say it's better to bit the bullet and come to HK and then hit the recruitment consultants, or do it from here?

phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilandLil:
    Thanks for the replies... yes i was thinking of trying the recruitment consultant route. Would you say it's better to bit the bullet and come to HK and then hit the recruitment consultants, or do it from here?

phil
    Hey Phil, I've just re read your initial message actually, the easiest and leasdt risk option is to get transferred and really work the system from inside, otherwise if you're really serious, email a few of the larger recruitment companies (Michael page, Hudson and I hear Judd Farris have opened up recently too) that deal in your sector here in HK and see what they have to say. Be careful they don't give you a load of BS, ask for specifics, about current vacancies, clients, how quickly they fill them, visa etc etc, there is nothing worse than getting here and getting into visa problems, that would be very demoralising.
    Good luck!!!

Thumbs down Job interview, why?????????

I just had a job interview with one of the firms here. I am an architect as well as urban designer. I worked with very very well known multidisciplinary companies in London before I moved here 3 months ago following my husband who moved here. I also have a chartered status and a very good portfolio.

I must say I was almost 70% certain that I will get this job because I am one of those confident and friendly and enthusiastic types (this is just a bare fact so sorry if you already feel that I blow my own trumpet).

I was interview by 1 Indian, 1 Austrian and 1 Chinese. I must say I was disappointed with their quality of works that framed around the office, no original idea there. Plus when I look at those who interviewed me, they look like ones of those people who will never get to work in places I worked for in the UK. Those who are not good enough to make it on London type. Plus those who lack social skills. They didn't even know how to start the interview until I helped them out by saying I will tell them about myself to start with, they were just sat there silent! Again this is a medium-large size international company, not some small studio.

I went through my portfolio, told them I'm keen to work with them blah blah the usual thing. They seem much taken by my portfolio and what I can do (computer graphic as well as freehand) and what I can offer to the company. The job requires me to travel to China, Middle East and India which I was fine with. They said my portfolio shows that I have worked in the large scale development before and compares with others, my portfolio is the best.

I left the meeting room smiling.
    The next day the secretary emailed me to say they decided not to offer me the job. I must say I'm stunned. I can not think of the reason why and so quickly as well.

When I think back, I must say they were intimidated by me a little, that was not my intention at all. I mentioned a few names of authors who wrote good books or research but they just do not know any of these people.

Or when they showed me one of the projects on the boardroom in order to give me an idea of the scale of projects they are working on, I simply ask where is this project and guess what? They don't know, and that creates an awkward silent there.

So I can only come to the conclusion that I'm just too good for them. They only come here because they can not make it anywhere else and they don't want to be found out just yet. Or they are sexist because I am a woman. Or racist because I'm half thai/english.

So to those who think that they want to come here to find a job, thinking that they are well qualified enough to get a job easily think again. Luckily my husband got a good job and I don't really need to work. I just want to work because I am a career woman and passionate about my work.

I'm still stunned by this rejection. If anyone would like to enlighten me, please feel free. But don’t be too harsh, I'm still fragile!

sbowra

I sympathise with you indeed and yes they rejected you as chances are they weren't going to challenge or stimulate you enough in this role, Hence they thought you'd quickly want to move on after a few months.

Its their loss not yours and I hate panel interviews, Its usually good cop bad cop and one fence sitter taking notes and interjecting now and again.

I had a similar interview last year with a company in HK, They rejected me because I had the audacity to be honest when they asked me the question ' What frustrates you in your job role'

My response was ' red tape and bureaucracy, Why makes things harder for yourself and your colleagues when you don't have to, why have a chain of 6 processes which you need to follow to get something done when it can be done in 4?'

Don't think they were too impressed!

Many thank for your sympathy. I might have to readjust my way and be one of those timid and do what they told type which is sad and I don't think I can do it. T

his incident amazed me because I specifically applied for an international company (no offence to the locals) so That they will be more broad minded and of course I had a lot of respect to those expats who work here.

I must say I think less of them now (I only talk about my area of work though). They only want to be the king here and do not what the equal. They definitely want to keep hold of the red tape system, so they can hide their inefficiency behind the system!

Just think either:

1. The fit just isn't there
    -the personality they're looking for
    -just whether they like you or not, subjectively

2. There's that teeny weeny bit of possibility that someone's better than you

It's not about HK - it happens everywhere. Sometimes it's just a matter of luck as well.

And don't worry, this happens to most of us

>> Or they are sexist because I am a woman.

Spot on. You're basically dealing with a boys club.

Also, the local firms who do China business prefer to hire atleast one token white male to take with them to meetings.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast