cost of living and salary in hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

cost of living and salary in hong kong

I am just a youth from singapore who wishes to find out how are the wages/salaries like in Hong Kong? I may want to migrate to Hong Kong in near future.

In singapore,for degree holders and fresh graduates,they have a average starting monthly salary of $2500 for occupation such as software engineer,programmer,IT field. Fresh graduates joining lawyers and doctors as their careers have a starting salary of $4000.So how about Hong Kong's fresh graduates starting monthly salaries?

for local graduates, the starting salary can be as low as $6-7000/month...HKD not Sing dollars!

you would probably have a very difficult time as a new graduate trying to get a job to sponsor you. what skills/qualifications do you have that make you better for a job than a local? that's what immigration is going to want to know. and being a fresh graduate, you'll be hard-pressed to come up with an answer to that.

sorry, hope what i said hasn't offended you.

good luck with your job search.

Then how about the cost of housing?
    For singapore,most citizens live in government housing. Cost about S$240 per square feet. 1323 square feet is S$317520.
    Private housing can cost more than S$1000 to S$3000 per square feet.

How about in Hong Kong?

Is city life stressful in Hong Kong?

public housing is for local low income folks only.

You would need to live in private housing. Cheapest you can get is going to be around $2000HKD for a small room with bathroom. (if you negotiate well) Small living room, bedroom and bathroom type deal starts at $3000HKD with negotiation. Of course the more space and things you want the more cost. Can be up and above $100,000HKD per month also.

Quote Originally Posted by highfive:
    Then how about the cost of housing?
    For singapore,most citizens live in government housing. Cost about S$240 per square feet. 1323 square feet is S$317520.
    Highfive, I think your prices refer to buying property, not renting. HKChigger's response refers to monthly rental prices in Hong Kong. Property prices will be way above $1million HKD except for some remote villages or very run-down properties.

so overall For Hong Kong Citizens, Most of them live in which type of housing? Private or government?

Quote Originally Posted by highfive:
    so overall For Hong Kong Citizens, Most of them live in which type of housing? Private or government?
    There is no HDB equivalent in HK.. Expect to pay atleast 3 times more in in HK for pvt housing equivalent to similar quality pvt housing (not HDB) in Sinagpore

i'm not sure of the statistics, but i'd guess that the majority of people live in gov't housing.

YOU as a singaporean citizen are NOT eligible for private housing. it is for LOCAL, low-income families. and there is a waiting list of about 5 years to be approved and then assigned a unit.

YOU will have to look at private housing which is extremely expensive, depending on your requirements and location.

Quote Originally Posted by back2HK:
    There is no HDB equivalent in HK.. Expect to pay atleast 3 times more in in HK for pvt housing equivalent to similar quality pvt housing (not HDB) in Sinagpore
    errr. i think there is. but only for the locals and the income limit is quite low.
    but there are people who rent out their housing authority flat.. just not very common and totally against the law i think.

Quote Originally Posted by back2HK:
    There is no HDB equivalent in HK..
    What a ridiculous statement. Currently 49.2% of the Hong Kong population live in public housing provided by the Housing Authority. Some basic statistics here: http://www.housingauthority.gov.hk/e...5-2006,00.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast