Like Tree25Likes

What should I do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Unhappy What should I do?

Before coming to HK, I was working for a financial firm in my home country. My career was all the way up for several years. Started as a developer, middle office quant and then finally I was promoted to the front office as senior quant pm.

In contrast, since staying in HK for last 3 years, my career has gone all the way down. I moved to HK for my local HK wife after getting an offer even though my position was way far downgraded. I was very confident that I could improve my situation soon, but I saw no future in that job and it was hopeless situatoin due to the GFC. Finally I joined another firm in HK, which turned out to be another wrong way.

On the other hand, thanks to her consistent promotion in her own job, my wife's salary exceeded even much higher than what I earned.

It's been already 4 months after quitting my last job recklessly with hope to get a job in a few weeks under the seemingly improved job market. However, the recruiters are still very picky and my past 3 years' experience makes me hard to convince them.

Considering there are few attractive opportunities in HK, I interviewed a company in my home country for a position of head of middle office team with better title. Luckily the interviewer was someone I worked together previously and he was one of the people who recognized my ability and integrity. So I can say chance of getting an offer soon is very high.

The problem is, my wife does not want to go to my home country together because she has very few chance of getting a job there due to language problem, and our net income will become just above 1/3 of what we earned in HK due to the higher tax rate.

Meanwhile, I am also going to have another interview for a job in HK, which is still far less attractive than that one from my home country. But the chance is also high thanks to the strong recommendation from my ex-colleague in that firm.

Last 3 years in HK has been a nightmare for my career and my life, but good money for the family. If I go back to my home country, I have to go alone leaving my wife crying alone in HK. And I don't want to leave her alone here. If I have to stay in HK, my career may be completely destroyed and I may have to stay as junior all the time in HK. This will be the worst scenario for a person like me considering to go back to my home country several years later.

What shoud I do? I know it was very reckless and even suicidal to have quit the job here, but I would like hear some advice from you sincerely.

Last edited by marijuan; 09-10-2010 at 03:42 PM.

You are married to a woman earning good money. You don't need to take a job you don't like in HK, nor go home. Find something to do here that you enjoy, while looking for a job that you will like. Perhaps branch out into something new. Take advantage of your wife's earning power and stop worrying about it. She wants you to be happy - as you say, money is not an issue now. Just step back and think about what you'd really LIKE to do. Perhaps that's to start your own business? Or do some voluntary work? Or change lines of work? Or just wait for the RIGHT job in your area.

Stop defining yourself by your job and YOUR salary. Get over past mistakes. Move forward. RELAX and enjoy yourself!

Give a call to Percy Vere Recruitment Consultants. They will get the right job for you ........... eventually.

marijuan likes this.

Unfortunately, I cannot just keep waiting for the right job. The longer the gap becomes, the more difficult to get a job.

if you are still a hands on developer in financial services or have middle office experience, PM me - I know in the firm I work for, there are a number of open positions.

marijuan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Or just wait for the RIGHT job in your area.
    Unfortunately, I cannot just keep waiting for the right job. The longer the gap becomes, the more difficult it would be to get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    if you are still a hands on developer in financial services or have middle office experience, PM me - I know in the firm I work for, there are a number of open positions.
    Thanks, Katanga. I've PMed you.

initially i thought there might be some real issues where you need help. but given your other posts

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thr...tml#post541767

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread44535-6.html

i think you are just a complete whiner that needs a) to grow up fast and b) to work hard and add value in your job in order to make a career.

hong kong is a competitive country and probably more of a challenge that 'the country where you come from' (as you so nicely always quote in your posts). that's also the reason why the pay is better and taxes are lower, just as you got reminded when you are considering your other job.

i am actually surprised that your wife puts up with you

HongKongFoot likes this.

cookie09,

It's true that I was complainig a lot a year ago because of my status. But I decided to stop whining since then.

Hope you can understand how she puts up with me.

Thanks for the comment any way.

Last edited by marijuan; 10-10-2010 at 01:17 AM.

What's your 'home country' then?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast