Like Tree4Likes

Cover letter: some questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cover letter: some questions

I'm currently not in HK, but I already want to send out some cv's to companies. I was wondering if I should mention that I currently don't live in HK in my cover letter? Or is this a very stupid thing to do?

Also, is it normal for them to ask me to write down my expected salary? I don't want to pin myself to a certain number, so I can still "negotiate" during the interview.

Will you fly to HK at the drop of a hat if you get an interview? If not, I would mention it! If yes, then go for it.

Re salary, I would not open with this. Much better done in person.

Football16 likes this.

It's very weird. I sent my CV out before I came and the responses I got was, in a nutshell, talk to me when you get here. So I pretty much stopped and when I got here, the responses where - you didn't bother looking for a job before you came??

So I would still send them out but I agree with Movingin07.

Good luck!

The other thing the OP should mention is whether or not they have the right to work in Hong Kong or would need sponsoring for a visa. The former will exclude you from a lot of companies / roles, but best not to waste people's time and be up front about it.

Football16 likes this.

If HK is the city that your based in and allowed to work but currently in another part of the world. I'd still include my HK mobile number and answer or even call back potential employers if need be.

Also no mention of money in covering letter.

Football16 likes this.

Traditionally in a letter you leave your correspondence address so it may be difficult to hide. I would mention though if you have ROA/RTL/Citizenship, and a HK number would also help.

Don't mention pay unless explicitly asked, far better to do face to face with the employer, rather than letting a junior HR person know.

Thanks for helping me out guys. I was planning to put the fact that I have a HK ID in my cv, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it in my cover letter.

Normally I wouldn't mention about the salary part, but I often see "For application, please send a detailed resume with current earnings, expected salary...". That's why I'm asking. Never saw such thing in job ads here =\

You should be slightly more specific than "have a HKID" - many people have HKIDs which don't entitle them to work. If you have the Right of Abode or Right to Land in Hong Kong then say so. If not then be specific about what type of visa you hold which entitles you to work freely (could be Dependant, QMAS, CIES, Local Graduate, etc).

I know I have "Kui lau kuen", but I'm not sure if it means ROA or TRL (although, I think it's ROA. Kui lau sounds like "to stay"? I can be wrong though). I have the smart ID card without the 3stars. The person at immigration said I could live and work freely in HK, the only thing I couldn't do was to vote and be voted. He also told me it's better to come back every 3 years.

This is the ID card I have, but without the 3stars.
    GovHK: The Smart Identity Card

I looked up the difference between ROA and RTL, it looks simular to me. The only difference I see, is when one has the RTL, he or she can be deported.
    The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Compare the codes below the date of birth, with the codes on the HK ID site. That will help determine if you have the right to land or right of abode (both of these allow you to work in HK).

If you have a "C" code (conditional) then your ID is no good without the conditions that were attached to your visa when you got it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast