Like Tree3Likes

Please Help Me Make a Career Change.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    Bruce Springsteen was a Baus...still is in some eyes.
    He was a baus of another kind but he also did some of the baus things mentioned in the video.

Is anyone here in a business development type of role? Or know about that role to provide some comments on it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    Is anyone here in a business development type of role? Or know about that role to provide some comments on it? Thanks.
    BD covers a huge gamut of roles. I am certainly in a BD role - finding work as a consultant. When I worked for a power generator I was also in a BD role - but that was to find power projects to develop. The two are pretty different! What sort of BD are you looking at?
    Rayzilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    BD covers a huge gamut of roles...
    ...What sort of BD are you looking at?
    My goal at this point is to just get my foot in the door at a company where in the longer term I can be a part of the team that requires personnel with good skills in many different disciplines. I would make use of all of my strengths such as business acumen, tax/accounting/financial technical expertise, interpersonal and communication skills, working with contracts and legislation, and other skills and experience that I have obtained over my career.

I did some reading about the role of a business developer and I became interested in it because of its involvement with so many different areas of a company. From what I read, BD is required to understand the clients and their needs, thus working with the sales and marketing side. Understand the time line of production or service delivery capabilities, thus working with operations or processing. And also understand the finance, accounting and tax side of the business to know if the pricing, costing and other financial matters are where they should be or how they could be changed to minimize tax consequences and maximize the bottom line.

I think I would get most enjoyment in my career if I am able to be in a role that touches upon different parts of a company and not just in the back office or support role or not just responsible for sales number or etc.

But I understand that I will need to start in a smaller role before I can work my way up to that kind of a role.

I wanted to change my title because I didn't like the sound of it after but it appears that I am not able to edit neither the title nor the opening post.

This is all very new to me so I would appreciate any kind of advice, guidance or contacts that you can provide to me.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    I did some reading about the role of a business developer and I became interested in it because of its involvement with so many different areas of a company. From what I read, BD is required to understand the clients and their needs, thus working with the sales and marketing side. Understand the time line of production or service delivery capabilities, thus working with operations or processing. And also understand the finance, accounting and tax side of the business to know if the pricing, costing and other financial matters are where they should be or how they could be changed to minimize tax consequences and maximize the bottom line.
    In many companies/fields that would be called "Product Management" rather than "business development" (and would have profit & loss responsibility). BD in some companies is essentially "sales prospecting" - i.e. trying to find new customers or markets for existing products where the company doesn't have an established sales organisation. In this case it is essentially just a type of sales activity but where you are expected to think a bit more broadly about how the company could make money from these new markets rather than just following an established selling process.
    Last edited by PDLM; 30-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Rayzilla likes this.