Finding a suitable job....

Closed Thread

Finding a suitable job....

... after a long (8 years!!) break and not sure where to begin! Is it an impossibility in here in HK? I do not have local language skills but there're so many many people I know with great jobs without knowing the language.
    Have a marketing/media/advertising(client management) background.

Any advise/help is highly appreciated.

Try looking on the internet or newspapers for jobs. You will need sponsporship from the company in order to get a work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy_loops:
    Try looking on the internet or newspapers for jobs. You will need sponsporship from the company in order to get a work visa.

That will be the big problem, I have an sponsorship for work permit now but my contract will be over soon so I am trying real hard to look for jobs. There were alot of jobs which my job skills are matched but they wont even bother to process it when they knew I need a sponsorship, quite a number of applications were blocked in the HR dept level or agent level because of the sponsorship thing.

I even experience the "cold words" from a reputable job agent in the town that she asked me do not waste my time, eventhough my job skills are matching her clients requirements but they rather left that post hanging there for months, because the HR of the clients said they dont want to do extra work. IT should be eligeble to get one work permit but some HR just dont want to do extra jobs. I know things are better in MNCs but some are the same with the localised HR department.

IF you want to stay here and you are not up to top professional level such as director, CEO.....those lazy HR officers are the one you need to beat..

Work permit regulations in HK is quite strict when compared to China and Singapore, eventhough it is a "world city" but alot of regulations are putting them behind the competition with singapore and those china cities like shenzhen and shanghai, which welcomes candidates with good education background around the world. Another thing is many of the locals people here doesnt like to mix with the foreigners. I am not sure anyone of you guys here feel the same. Perhaps just I have not yet meet the right ppl.

I understand the feelings of local people that they need protection in the employment market so I have no comment on it.

Anyway,hiring overseas ppl did benefit hk econ, because we paid taxes but we do not eligeble for those social benefits like medicals and educations funds.

I will just give a try for another 2 months, if they really not welcome me, so I will just move to Shanghai or start a small business here
    Last edited by links; 09-01-2007 at 06:43 PM.

>> Have a marketing/media/advertising(client management)
    >> background.

http://www.aaaa.com.hk/index.shtml

so long as you have a HKID card you ARE eligible for cheap medical care at HK hospitals and as far as i know you can enrol your children in local schools. the thing is,most foreigners do not want their children to go to local school.