No diploma, what are there for jobs then?

Closed Thread

Red face No diploma, what are there for jobs then?

I am thinking about relocating to HK or Taiwan, possibly Indonesia as a close 3rd, I am wondering what the job options are for me. I have lots of experience
    in foodservice, coffeeshops etc...As well as being a career musician that plays
    lots of different instruments, especially ethnic percussion from everywhere-
    and drumkit. Most of the people I have talked to that are over there have the
    'certificate' and language school or corporate positions...

Is there anthing for Gweilo out of this loop? Thanks!

My first impression is that you will find it difficult to find an employer able/willing to sponser you when the local unemployment rate is relatively high enough that they can find similar staff locally. Language will definitely be an issue and your options will be restricted when dealing with customers. All this becomes less of an issue if you are willing to work illegally, but that's another issue altogether.

Hope that doesn't put you off, you can try a fact-finding vacation and try to find out first-hand as well.

The diploma really really helps. I taught English in Taiwan, with a college degree, but I knew others who didn't. English teaching is really all you will find in Taiwan, and it can be a lot of fun. Without a university degree, you can't qualify for a work visa. You'll either have to do a "visa run" once every three months (go to another country, like HK, and come back to Taiwan with a new tourist visa) or take 10 hours of Chinese lessons per week to get a student visa. Either way, you might get taken advantage of. Your employer will know that you are working illegally and s/he can get you deported at any time, so you may have to accept less pay or worse hours than you wish for.

I don't know what conditions are like in Hong Kong. I just got here on Tuesday, and am looking for a job myself.