Both partners working - expat package

Closed Thread

Both partners working - expat package

I have accepted an offer to start teaching in HK from start of August, 2007. Great package - housing, 100% children's education, relocation, etc etc.
    Now.... my husband, who works in telecommunications, has started following the job market - signed up here and there, searching online places, etc.... What if he were to be offered a job which started earlier than mine, and he got offered a good expat package too?

Are there rules about this? Or rules of thumb, even? Obviously we don't both get a package that includes flights, housing etc for a whole family. I'm sure that ethically he would have to disclose that I have a family-sized package which starts at the end of July.

Any experience with this? This forum is absolutely fantastic.

Thanks

Trocadero

Well there is no law saying he has to disclose anything about yourself or the family. I would suggest if a company offers a housing allowance and other benefits just get him to ask for a little more money instead, or if it is housing only you could always combine the two for a more expensive place.

My hubby and I initially came over to HK on 2 separate expat packages so I can certainly advise. For most expenses you will need to claim at one company or the other (for example, if one company is paying schools, you really cannot double-claim at the 2nd company. Besides the ethical issues, there's paperwork involved which makes it impossible). However, for other expenses, such as housing allowance, there's no reason you cannot get an allowance from both companies and double-up for a bigger place. After all, you are both being paid to come over, so this is really a part of your pay-package. Alternatively you or your wife can "waive" the expat package and simply negotiate a higher base salary. When we came over we negotiated separately. My hubby took some of the expenses, I took others, and we both negotiated a housing allowance. We were both up-front with our companies about the situation.

Thank you Nina and HKChigger. That is what I needed. I guess we'll just be honest and play it by ear.