Like Tree7Likes

Pay rise = pay cut!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pay rise = pay cut!

That's what Cafe de Coral are doing. Giving their restaurant staff a small pay rise, but changing the contracts so that meal breaks become unpaid. Overall it means that monthly take home pay will go down for many workers, or for some workers pay will go up by a few dollars. And all legal.

Limited details from RTHK. More from The Standard.

Last edited by drumbrake; 30-10-2010 at 07:44 PM.

if something goes up, something also must go down

Quote Originally Posted by kolz:
    only in an idealised closed system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by kolz:
    Owner's profits up, staff salaries down?

Anyone here that gets paid for lunch time or other breaks? I certainly don't.

As long as it's legal it is at the discretion of the company, just like paying a bonus (or not).

Not sure about you guys, but i never got paid breaks. Not here, not back home.

i dunno whether cafe coral's profit increases, i only know they do make profit. Taken the assumption that the profit stays the same, u have an increase in wages, so something else must go down right? lunch expense that is...

Hehe... In Belgium we get 'lunch vouchers'. It's basicly a cheque, but you can only buy money with it. It's nice to have a few hunderd euros extra per month, the best part is that you don't have to pay tax for that extra money =p

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Not sure about you guys, but i never got paid breaks. Not here, not back home.
    So you paid by the hour? My contract says: "to do whatever duties are required to carry out the role and work hours appropriate to the position and salary". No mention of breaks.

I didn't read article... But this must be for hourly workers, not salary workers right?
    If yes, I can understand not getting paid for breaks, as I never was in any of my jobs growing up in the states.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast