Motorcyle tourism

Closed Thread

Motorcyle tourism

Hi

I have a job to start at the beginning of August, in HK, but my husband doesn't, yet. He works in telecommunications, but someone suggested this (possible incredibly kooky) idea to us: motorcycle tourism. My husband is selling his BMW (a year old) before we move, after we looked into import costs, probably traffic, etc etc, BUT he is kind of taken with the idea of taking people on tours on a Harley Davidson. There are a few touring companies who do that here in southeast Qld. Assuming that he probably wouldn't be doing too much driving in the main bits of Central/Kowloon, more to outlying areas, do you think it would be too dangerous? From where in Hong Kong do you get info about setting up a business/insurance etc?

Thanks - I appreciate any ideas and value your on-the-spot knowledge and experience.

I've never seen a man or a couple get on the back of a Harley.. only seen young women with older men in the front. Lets face it .. a Harley is an investment bankers mid-life crisis in progress. ( http://www.h-o-g.org/gallery.htm )

On the practical side, I'd think that the liability insurance would probably be too expensive to run a business involving putting tourists on a motorbike.

More on setting up a business can be found here in the forums and on .. http://www.business.gov.hk/bep/openc...eng/index.html

Last edited by KnowItAll; 23-01-2007 at 08:12 AM.

IF you get this business running, I wouldn't mind being a motorcyclist tour guide!!!!! I just moved here from the US and already miss my motorcycle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trocadero:
    Hi

I have a job to start at the beginning of August, in HK, but my husband doesn't, yet. He works in telecommunications, but someone suggested this (possible incredibly kooky) idea to us: motorcycle tourism. My husband is selling his BMW (a year old) before we move, after we looked into import costs, probably traffic, etc etc, BUT he is kind of taken with the idea of taking people on tours on a Harley Davidson. There are a few touring companies who do that here in southeast Qld. Assuming that he probably wouldn't be doing too much driving in the main bits of Central/Kowloon, more to outlying areas, do you think it would be too dangerous? From where in Hong Kong do you get info about setting up a business/insurance etc?

Thanks - I appreciate any ideas and value your on-the-spot knowledge and experience.

As KIA says, liability for a business would be the big thing. Riding here is different to in Australia as the traffic ettiquette is a bit different, but it is no more dangerous (ok, I got knocked off my bike just recently, on a big pseudo-harley cruiser, but it can happen anywhere). Roads here are great for highway cruising out in the New Territories, and despite what some may say, a big cruiser goes just fine in HK. You just need to ride to fit the conditions. From what I have experienced, even vehicle insurance in HK is more expensive than in Oz, and the excesses are a lot higher, so a small ding on the bike will out of your pocket, as it won't be worth making a claim... i can only assume business and liability insurance would be worse. The other thing is, apart from tourists, I don't think there would be much of a local interest in sitting on the back of a bike in HK, even if it is a Harley. There are plenty of locals whizzing around on scooters and bikes, and most people who see me on my bike ask a) am i crazy?, or b) can't i afford a car? But you never know, it could be an undiscovered niche waiting for you...

riding motorcycles are fun in hong kong because

a) This is a heavily polluted city. Inhale deeply on Queens Road Central once. You don't need any cigarette for the rest of your life.

b) I get massive helmet hair from sticky humidity + temperature March - November.

c) it's simply hot and sticky. riding behind smelly armpits is such a refreshing experience.

d) it gets even stickier when raining seasons start. May - October. It's amusing to carry pocketful full of rain in my backpack.

e) Fun-loving lorry drivers like to extend their gracious hands and pat your head as they drive pass.

f) Never will a day go by without you seeing a road being blocked and drilled. In fact, none of our roads stay intact for more a 6 months at any stretch of time!

g) i can't get a BMW c3.

stamping my feet now...

Makiliz-

What do you ride btw? Back in the US I ride a BMW R1200C and obviously I'd want something smaller out here in HK. Is it even worth it to ride out here? I've ridden in Thailand and Taiwan and was fine and used to it...

Quote Originally Posted by makiliz:
    riding motorcycles are fun in hong kong because

a) This is a heavily polluted city. Inhale deeply on Queens Road Central once. You don't need any cigarette for the rest of your life.

b) I get massive helmet hair from sticky humidity + temperature March - November.

c) it's simply hot and sticky. riding behind smelly armpits is such a refreshing experience.

d) it gets even stickier when raining seasons start. May - October. It's amusing to carry pocketful full of rain in my backpack.

e) Fun-loving lorry drivers like to extend their gracious hands and pat your head as they drive pass.

f) Never will a day go by without you seeing a road being blocked and drilled. In fact, none of our roads stay intact for more a 6 months at any stretch of time!

g) i can't get a BMW c3.

stamping my feet now...