Graduate Jobs

Closed Thread

Graduate Jobs

Hi All,
    I Graduate from University here in the UK in June
    I am doing a BA in Multimedia Production - I'm decent at video production and video editing and have basic knowledge of design and other forms of Multimedia. Very able with computers.
    I'm in the process of getting a HK ID card and should be good to work over there.
    I am planning to move over to Hong Kong the late October/early November this Year (2007) and living with my grandma,
    As i wont really need to worry about rent etc im not really looking for a top paying job, but just a job to gain experience and work in Hong Kong to learn the chinese part of my culture (i am Half Chinese half English) I dont speak cantonese but am taking lessons at the moment.
    My first thought was to just do the TEFL course and try and find work to get by.
    Now am i starting to think more about getting a intern job- assistant editor job, anything that will add some experience.
    I'd say my key attribute is the fact that i am only looking for spending money whilst living over there rather than supporting family, renting, etc.
    How would you people recommend i apply for these graduate/intern/assitant/training jobs?
    Thanking you

It is becoming impossible to get any info back of companies or anyone.
    Its more of a struggle then I first thought.
    It looks like i'm gonna have to apply when I get over there the end of July.

Has anyone seen any work suited to me along their travels?

Check out job listings at the major local broadcasters (TVB, ATV, RTHK, STAR, i-Cable, Phoenix, CNN, Bloomberg, National Geographic, Reuters TV). Take some initiative and directly contact appopriate hiring managers, asking for an internship or entry level opportunity. If your university can do anything to facilitate, take advantage while you still can. See if your university has a local alumni club and see if anyone there can help. Also check out some of the media companies based at the Cyberport. Smaller production houses may occasionally list opportunities at Mandy.com.

You may also consider applying for further study at City U., PolyU, HK Academy of Performing Arts (they have a TV/Film production programme), where the faculty is more likely to help with placement. In the long run though, i don't think there is major earning potential in the local production industry as compared to the UK.

Wow, really good reply there, thanks.
    I may look at doing a course there now u have brought that up.

My main plan is more short term then long to find work in Hong Kong, just hoping for a years experience and eventually maybe move back to the UK.
    Cant afford to go traveling so am planning on living with family in Hong Kong and work getting experience whilst there.

Are you in the industry?

Nope, I'm not in the industry, but I'm a film/video enthusiast and have worked on broadcasting projects in another capacity. Good luck and be persistent!