Below is a popular Question with a detailed answer for all of you who are currently in such a situation:

Q.I’m here on a Visitor visa and have been interviewing for jobs. Is this legal? Also, my visa is just about to expire and I have been advised that I have been short listed for a final interview. I really want this job and don’t wish to miss out because my visa will run out. What can I do? Help!

A.Whilst working under a Visitor visa, is definitely unlawful (taking up of employment whether paid or unpaid first requires the consent of the Director of Immigration) looking and interviewing for work is deemed permitted activity under the Visitor visa – so you’re OK on this one. On the other hand, you’re going to need to secure an extension of stay to allow you to remain in Hong Kong to finish the interviewing process. First extensions of stay to Visitor consents are readily granted by the HKID. However, you will need to (a) satisfy the authorities that you remain a ‘bona fide Visitor to Hong Kong’ and (b) justify in writing the reasons for your desired extension of stay. You will be able to satisfy the HKID as to your bona fides by showing that you have sufficient funds to finish your visit successfully and that you have the means of returning to your home country (or at least a ticket out and a reasonable plan for any country you intend to visit subsequently). The ‘reason’ for your extension can quite properly be the fact that you are in the final stages of an interview process. This will require you furnishing a letter of support written by your prospective employer stating that you have been short listed and, in the event that you are subsequently offered a position, they will assist you to pursue an employment visa application under their sponsorship. If you are granted an extension of this basis, please be aware that second and subsequent applications will meet with rigorous scrutiny and are not granted lightly. Technically, you could leave Hong Kong before your period of stay expires and reenter under new Visitor visa permissions at any time thereafter (often involving a day trip to Macau or Shenzhen). In practice, however, this is fraught with difficulty and easily arouses the suspicions of the Immigration Officers at the point of entry and, needless to say, is not recommended.