Like Tree2Likes

arrv on dep visa, not much of work exp, age on higher side, non-cantonese...sugg w/rgd to work

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

arrv on dep visa, not much of work exp, age on higher side, non-cantonese...sugg w/rgd to work

hi to all,
    m chinese of indian origin, born & brought up in india, fluent in english but sadly nil at cantonese/mandarin...will be settling down on a dept visa but the worry is the work/career aspect in hk...since most of my career life in india was self-employed in various small businesses, which would be out of question atleast initially in hk, i m a bit worried w/rgds to the job prospect in the service industry since age too is not in my favour...HELP!....below are the facts in short :-

edu : graduate (bach of Commerce)
    Oracle Cert Assct (OCA) in Database Admin but no exp at all
    work exp : not in service ind; mostly was self-employed

thanx

What were you self-employed as and why do you think this is impossible in HK? I agree, being self employed, or employed by a purely local firm would be problematic because of language skills, international firms or other english speakers may employ you. But hard to tell without knowing exactly what you used to do. Have you tried looking at being an English teacher - is "fluent" good enough for that? Have you tried networking among the indian community here - there are many - perhaps they would need your skills. I think you need to find some contacts among english speaking people and find out what they need and if they match what you can do.

castaway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by castaway:
    hi to all,
    m chinese of indian origin, born & brought up in india, fluent in english but sadly nil at cantonese/mandarin...will be settling down on a dept visa but the worry is the work/career aspect in hk...since most of my career life in india was self-employed in various small businesses, which would be out of question atleast initially in hk, i m a bit worried w/rgds to the job prospect in the service industry since age too is not in my favour...HELP!....below are the facts in short :-

edu : graduate (bach of Commerce)
    Oracle Cert Assct (OCA) in Database Admin but no exp at all
    work exp : not in service ind; mostly was self-employed

thanx
    What can you do? If you can do handywork, painting, lift heavy things, can you afford and drive a vehicle? If so, you can start earning from day one self employed advertising your services right here on this site. PM me if you want more information, I did this when I first arrived!! I did man with a van!

firstly, thanx for the possitive reply....would be really helpful if u could elaborate on yr ideas/thoughts w/rgds to the owing & driving of a vehicle....is it like a cab driver or maybe something to do with goods transportation business....yr views would be really appreciated
    thanx

Quote Originally Posted by castaway:
    firstly, thanx for the possitive reply....would be really helpful if u could elaborate on yr ideas/thoughts w/rgds to the owing & driving of a vehicle....is it like a cab driver or maybe something to do with goods transportation business....yr views would be really appreciated
    thanx
    Hi, I did both. If you own a people mover you can move goods and people. You can't be like a taxi though, ie, you can't pick up fares from the side of the road or tout at the airport. You can provide services to expats which may or may not include airport transfers! Van drivers in HK only drive door to door, they don't help with the goods so you can make money by adding value by actually helping people with their furniture, bags, whatever. It's actually possible to do this without a vehicle of your own, often my vehicle(s) were busy or unsuitable and I used local van services and my own labour. It's very much in demand, do a good job and don't overcharge and you will soon get a reputation here and reccomendations... pm me your number if you want further details
    Last edited by bryant.english; 28-11-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    castaway likes this.

Take care with both vehicle and business insurance issues though...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Take care with both vehicle and business insurance issues though...
    Yes, and don't forget to blink regularly to keep your eyeballs moist...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Yes, and don't forget to blink regularly to keep your eyeballs moist...
    I thought we did that all the time....

The Indian Chamber of Commerce has a list of Indian companies doing business in Hong Kong. Just had a quick look and they have 500 members. That will keep you busy.

http://www.icchk.org.hk/

Does Indian Chamber of Commerce help in providing employment to Indians? If so, what is the procedure thereof? I visited their website, but could not figure out anything helpful.

I am also in somewhat same situation as castaway - though no business experience! I was kindergarten teacher in India/other country in the past. I am a science graduate.

Thanks for help.

Thakur

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast