Permanent Residency advice needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    thanks, so a further follow-up: "She could stay in HK" -> what is the minimum requirement to qualify for 'staying in hk'? i.e. could she live with me in singapore and only come to hong kong for a weekend twice in 6 months?
    She must prove to Hong Kong Immigration that she is currently and plans to continue making Hong Kong her main place of abode. She is going to need to submit proof of this with things like rental contracts, power bills etc. That shows she is tied to and plans to remain tied to Hong Kong. They also have access to entry/exit records and if they suspect she has moved overseas for 6 months, they may deny her PR status.

I would think if the immigration officer researches carefully they would have some serious questions about why she has spent only 2 weekends in 6 months in Hong Kong.

The onus is on her to prove to the satisfaction of Immigration that she is continuing to "ordinarily reside" in Hong Kong. It's at the discretion of the officer processing the application. Note that if it is rejected then by definition her ordinary residence is deemed to have been interrupted, and the PR clock resets to zero. So if this is important to you that I would advise not taking the chance - and do actually do what the law says you must (i.e. reside here properly), rather than trying to find ways to stretch things to the limit. In your case that would probably involve her living here, and you doing a M-F commute to Singapore (I think quite a lot of people do this).