Like Tree6Likes

Teacher needs advice!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I did not know it was from a film. All the children at my last school said it all the time to 'dis each other.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

hermes, I believe secondary NET scheme teachers are assigned to government schools or subsidised ones (not DSS). The heads of government secondary schools (there are only about 30 in Hong Kong) do have a good degree of autonomy concerning the day-to-day running of their schools. Subsidised schools take funding from the government but they are independently owned and managed by a board of governors.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 03-12-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Could I ask what DSS is please?

EDIT: It means something in England that is nothing to do with education!

Last edited by almightygoodgod; 03-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by almightygoodgod:
    Could I ask what DSS is please?

EDIT: It means something in England that is nothing to do with education!
    Direct Subsidy Scheme.

I have worked in many schools in HK and have also been an administrator. I don't necessarily believe that what you are facing is a HK thing. Independent schools often work like this and teachers are often at the mercy of the administrative team. It's fabulous not to have to deal with unions when you want to get rid of incompetents but when you're a teacher and you feel the admin team is weak, you have little recourse.

Obviously, leaving mid year would be very detrimental to you unless you simply avoid mentioning you ever worked at that school. Most administrators would not look kindly on that since everyone realizes the impact it has on students. My advice would be to request or wait for your evaluation if you haven't had one. Assuming, you pass with flying colors then it becomes easier to have a discussion with administration about terminating the contract at the end of the school year. Normally there are financial penalties like losing bonus, return flights etc... Most schools start their hiring in January or February so it would be better to have the conversation sooner than later if you wish to have references. Once the table is clear it then becomes easier to start looking for work in other schools and you would likely get decent references.

In my experience, schools serving the international community are pretty good here. There will always be disagreement between teachers and admin, however, in my experience, both the teachers and admin team tend to be better than in an average public school in most western countries simply due to the fact that it's easier to get rid of incompetents and that dead wood doesn't usually float too far away from home.

PS Ignore PDLM, he's a bit of a fuddy duddy sometimes and has often demonstrated a lack of knowledge about the world of education

Out of interest, did you ever resolve this?