why isit so hard to find a job with sponsor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

why isit so hard to find a job with sponsor?

I have been in HK for over a year now. i came HK with my bf who has a HKID. we were traveling and fell in love with HK and want to start a future with career in HK. bcos my bf has a HKID he can get a job easy.

I find it so hard to look for a job bcos i dont hold a HKID. in order to get a teaching job i need to have a degree which i dont. i have some experience and also a TEFL but this dont seem to help as no one wants to sponsor me!
    when i do finally have a school who will sponsor me the visa fell through saying i dont have a skill. so now i am stuck without a job and i dont know what to do.

everyone joke about getting married with my bf, but we dont want to ruch into getting married just for a HKID as we are both still young.

i also tired private tutoring but all the wellcome and pakn shop have no more notice boards. and parents tend to go with someone they know from a friend.

can anyone help with advice on what i can do?

I am a highly motivated, energetic and vibrant Native English speaker with 1 year experience in handling small kids, planning and carrying out the daily school activities, and the ability of using creative and interesting techniques for making children learn fast, solve problems and understand abstract concepts.

i am willing to learn - just need to be given the chance!

Your situation is quite unfortunate. A lot of companies would rather hire locals or someone with the appropriate status of visa than trouble themselves with sponsorship.

Unless you can prove otherwise that you are more skillful than the locals. Sorry I can't advice or provide you with any suggestion further. But keep looking and choose the industry wisely. You never know...

Duplicate thread. See response in your other one of the same substance.

Remember that employers have to prove that you have skills that locals are not been able to do or difficult to find in the local market.

Quote Originally Posted by missyhho:
    ....this dont seem to help as no one wants to sponsor me! ....
    ....I am a highly motivated, energetic and vibrant Native English speaker .....[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
    Not sure which part of the English speaking world you come from but where I'm from "this dont seem to help" isn't considered correct usage. Maybe that's part of the issue. Appreciate you may be using informal language on this forum and not bothering to correct typos but we need the kids of HK to be learning more accurate English than yours....

You think getting a sponsor is hard here, try getting a green card or H1B...

Quote Originally Posted by missyhho:
    I have been in HK for over a year now. i came HK with my bf who has a HKID. we were traveling and fell in love with HK and want to start a future with career in HK. bcos my bf has a HKID he can get a job easy.

I find it so hard to look for a job bcos i dont hold a HKID. in order to get a teaching job i need to have a degree which i dont. i have some experience and also a TEFL but this dont seem to help as no one wants to sponsor me!
    when i do finally have a school who will sponsor me the visa fell through saying i dont have a skill. so now i am stuck without a job and i dont know what to do.

everyone joke about getting married with my bf, but we dont want to ruch into getting married just for a HKID as we are both still young.

i also tired private tutoring but all the wellcome and pakn shop have no more notice boards. and parents tend to go with someone they know from a friend.

can anyone help with advice on what i can do?

I am a highly motivated, energetic and vibrant Native English speaker with 1 year experience in handling small kids, planning and carrying out the daily school activities, and the ability of using creative and interesting techniques for making children learn fast, solve problems and understand abstract concepts.

i am willing to learn - just need to be given the chance!

it's not just hk, i know plenty of educated hk people stuggled to get working visa in uk after finishing their studies in uk

Sorry, but I think you have to face facts. It's difficult to get a work visa for a teaching position in Hong Kong without a degree. Regardless of whether you can find an employer willing to sponsor you it's unlikely that the application will be approved anyway, as you have already experienced. It can happen sometimes if there are special mitigating circumstances and the application is well put together but given that you have already had an application rejected it is almost impossible to get another application approved now.

I think you have to look at other options. Either other visas - working holiday, dependent, whatever or whether you and your boyfriend want to go and live somewhere else where you can both get work visas and come back to Hong Kong on a dependant visa if the relationship works out and you end up getting married. Or study for a degree, or....

Last edited by dipper; 06-12-2010 at 03:19 PM.

don't bother taking a teaching course unless you have a degree (or right to work in HK)

Hi missyhho, thanks for the post.

I'm in a similar position and was looking into doing a teaching course but as I don't have a degree either, this has put me right off. Degrees seem to count for alot more here than they do in the UK.

Good luck with your continued search.

frankly, just get that marriage license for the sake of it. it's easy to divorce if it doesnt work out and it offers a quick way out. nobody needs to know...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast