Like Tree13Likes

Tips please for CV and covering letter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tips please for CV and covering letter

Any tips on how to make a CV and covering letter stand out from those of you who do a lot of hiring?

I've seen thousands of applications over the years and know what works for me and doesn't. Now I'm on the other side trying to work out how to maximise my chances of getting to interview.

Some people are advising that the covering letter should have a strong call to action at the end, eg Please call me at your earliest convenience to arrange an interview. This doesn't work for me and just irrates me. I would decide whether to interview someone based on the substance of their application and how well they have showed their skills matched my needs.

I've also had advice to include a photo but again that doesn't work for me when I receive applications.

For me the covering letter has to be great and sell the applicant. But I've been told that is a very western approach and that in HK most people will pay little attention to the covering letter and just concentrate on the CV. Any views?

What works for others and what puts you off?

I think you can do no better than to put yourself in the position of the guy receiving the application and see what he wants. I would put, in BOTH your covering letter and CV, as the top item, a short paragraph that explains why you exactly fit the needs of his job. If you can't do this, why bother? You have to obviously find out what the needs of his job are! (network, read the annual report, ring up and ask, etc etc). You need to sell on one page - ideally both the covering letter and CV just in case they only read one - and then any additional pages are just reinforcement. That would be my 2 cent's. If you have a GOOD photo, include it - I think it's naff too but we put them on our corporate quals so why not on personal ones. If you look like a horse, probably best not! (and you might want a friend to decide on that ).

Football16 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The cover letter only gets a 10-second glance so it has to be to the point (not THREE pages long), giving sufficient information to get the reader to give your resume a 30-second glance. The letter should show how you fit the company requirements and what you can do for it/bring to it. The resume then re-enforces the letter with details.

I have seen too many cover letters going on about what the applicant wants. "I want to work there." "My friends tell me ABC is a good place to work." "I want to learn." It's not relevant as to whether the applicant can do the job which, as an employer, I want to know.

I also don't want to know about hobbies, primary schools, favourite music, marital status, height, DOB, etc.

So one page for the cover letter (which defines you as a "fit" for the job) and one for the resume (the supporting evidence).

The call to action could be along the lines of appreciating the opportunity to meet in person to discuss your abilities and the company’s needs, with a contact number.

I would tend to say no to the photo. As someone who goes through resumes, I don't think it adds to the message.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 09-12-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Football16 likes this.

Also mention somewhere your Immigration status if you're not obviously a local citizen. Emphasise it if it's in your favour (i.e. PR or Dependant Visa, so no work needed by the employer).

Football16 likes this.

Thanks, all very useful tips. I'm applying for specific jobs and have done some research and spoken to contacts at the companies in question.

I've asked this on the forum before - any thoughts on stating expected salary. All job ads seem to ask for it. I asked a recruitment consultant and he said simply put "market rate". Could putting that cost me the interview? For the positions I've applied for I've got a good idea of what they will pay, and it's in line with my expectations. But if more might be on the table, I don't want to miss out. Does it work to put $xK per month subject to agreed role and responsibilities?

If it's in line with your expectations and you did some research, I might go ahead and put something. I'd put a range - with your expectation at the bottom end and something extra at the top end. That should cover off reasonable possibilities.

AIP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think you can do no better than to put yourself in the position of the guy receiving the application and see what he wants.
    So, a photo of a woman with her tits out it is then. Sorted.
    Dmmos likes this.

You are right about call to action but it also depends on your specific job you are looking for. For instance, if you were applying for a sales executive or managers position and I was a hiring manager then I would like to see information on sales results. For example, 'For 2010 Brand XYZ sales increased 30% in a flat market'. Or 'added 25 new accounts generating 20% more revenue'.

Whatever position there must be some quantifiable results oriented information you can provide.

Also I am also looking for specific information that the applicant has done some research on our company.

Additionally I want to see a tailored CV and covering letter to that specific job. I don't know how many times I have received blanketed CV's and they stick out easily and it takes me 10 seconds to say no.

Formatting is also important. A well structured and well written CV does stand out very quickly. Most CV's I have seen in HK as many as 80% are formatted badly.

Anyway I'm a western guy and what I expect may be different for a local but you can really tell quickly about someone by the way they write and format their CV's.

Also, if you are good looking (or you think you are) then put your photo on. It won't hurt.

Some good advice from movingin07 and claire ex-ax.

Photos I think will become more normal as recruitment moves to mediums like facebook and linked-in. Might be a good idea to make sure while you are actively looking for jobs to make sure that "interesting" picture of you on facebook is currently replaced with something more sober - while you are looking.

Personally a good CV can / should survive most applications - unless you are applying for something quite different to your previous work. A short covering letter should appeal to that particular employer with how you 'solve their problem' and should be written specific to that job role

Here in HK I notice too much attention is paid to academic qualifications for jobs that experience is much more relevant (risk adversity perhaps). So for here it might be best to get your highest qualification near the top - rather than at the end of the CV if like me you are more "mature". Though I did an A level in English Literature a few years ago that seems to get interest.

Good luck - and get the job offer before you start negotiating the cash

Thanks for all the tips! I am mid career and looking to change directions so that's one of the challenges I am facing. Once I get to the interview I can sell myself - my main concern is being weeded out by the HR gatekeepers who are just looking for boxes to be ticked. I've already got a telephone interview set up with someone I sent a speculative application to yesterday so that's a good sign.

I don't think there are any interesting photos of me on facebook - I've set all my privacy settings so only friends can view my stuff anyway. I did try googling myself to see if anything interesting came up and it didn't. Mostly just stuff from our work website, the only facebook thing that came up was a comment I posted on a charity fan page offering them some help.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast