Like Tree2Likes

[Video] Game Design/Testing?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OutBlaze has had some relevant jobs posted, in fact I actually applied to them but they exercise great local culture to never respond to ANY of my e-mails (I asked for closure, and/or follow-ups).
    Smooth.. very smooth going around calling them idiots on a public forum which is frequented by pretty much every expat in town, including those who work for Outblaze. Says a lot about you to potential employers.
    JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    jaredHK is our resident expert on video gaming, he may be able to help.
    There is little or no work in the Console gaming biz here in HK. The OP needs to either move to Shanghai or the US/EU. I am not up to date with the mobile gaming scene.

I think you're just going to have to get used to the point that starting out at the beginning is always going to be hard no matter what job you look for. It's all about supply and demand anyway, and there isn't much demand for your skillset in HK I don't think.

It doesn't help that you're trying to find work in an industry that's pretty small IMO. Just look at the games being produced locally and compare them to overseas developments.

Apologise if my post is crap, am seriously hungover!\

BTW on the outblaze website it clearly states "Only short-listed candidates will be contacted." So I can't see why you're complaining about not being followed up on.

Last edited by ou7blaze; 08-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Smooth.. very smooth going around calling them idiots on a public forum which is frequented by pretty much every expat in town, including those who work for Outblaze. Says a lot about you to potential employers.
    You must have misunderstood what I said in my previous post. I said that someone who has personally worked with OutBlaze called them a bunch of idiots that I quote "has no idea what they are doing" (in regards to game development and communication) - it goes without saying that this is not addressed to everyone who is, was, or will be working at OutBlaze. I don't see how you came to the conclusion that that says anything about me - don't shoot the messenger.

shri, I'm not looking to get on anyone's bad side, my intentions on my previous post and this post included is not to offend.

Quote Originally Posted by ou7blaze:
    BTW on the outblaze website it clearly states "Only short-listed candidates will be contacted." So I can't see why you're complaining about not being followed up on.
    I understand this, but what I don't get is why they never once contacted me despite posting the very same job ad up several times over the course of a few months despite fully satisfying their requirements. I mean why post requirements if you aren't looking for someone that fulfills them? Anyways this is behind me, the fact that they failed to respond to me not only on the above occasions but when inquired about general information regarding the position is telling me a lot about their professionalism or rather unprofessional-ism - this is not a hate post directed at OutBlaze as I understand that this is common practice here in Hong Kong among local companies.

Thanks to those who have given their thoughts on this matter. It is pretty clear to me now that the market here in Hong Kong for game-related jobs are in short-supply and that I may need to look elsewhere for serious games employment if not wait it out until something comes up.

I'm looking to get this thread closed as there has been somewhat of a closure to the topic.

I can understand your frustration, ksy. I also think that companies could behave more professionally by replying to reasonable queries.

Whilst I agree to Shri's advice regarding the lack of professionalism in bashing previous or potential employers, I believe you are entitled to your opinion and that many share the same. You should only share that with people you trust instead of putting it out there for potential employees to see. I do note, however, that you were quoting someone and that you were not the one who made the statement.

I am sorry to hear that the job opportunities in the gaming industry in Hong Kong are few. Hopefully an opportunity will open up soon. Wishing you all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by ksy:
    An obvious option would be moving back to Canada, but I feel that this option is better visited when I have more experience, which leaves me in Hong Kong to find just that, or not.
    It probably is the other way around. you are better off revisiting working in HK after getting more experience in Canada. Montreal has much better opportunities in the video game industry than HK, probably several other cities also.

I remembered this article also http://ds.ign.com/articles/113/1139914p1.html
    Last edited by Hugo85; 12-01-2011 at 10:54 AM.