Like Tree3Likes

What jobs can expats get legally without a degree in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    bugger me, I assume they have TESOL or TEFL though?
    Not many of them. A white face is the only qualification required.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Not many of them. A white face is the only qualification required.
    On the mainland you need a degree to work at a school or university. Even private schools demand a degree. You can get jobs without it but they are usually tutoring or small schools and not great. I would have thought the same rules apply here.

A white face also helps tremendously though no certificate is required for that.
    Last edited by virago; 26-01-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: to add a funny comment

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    You really don't! I hardly know any English teachers who have degrees.
    funny that... EVERY tutor I know has a degree...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    But the degree is often unrelated to what they are actually teaching!

ahhh... you didn't specify that... you simply said that most didn't have "a degree"..

...and ALL the teachers I employ have a degree, teaching qualification and the legal right to work for me. I wouldn't employ anyone with less.

Hello guys,
    I thought I'd hijack this thread for a bit since I'm in a similar situation as the OP.
    Firstly, I'm a Chinese Australian who can speak fluently in English, Mandarin and Cantonese. I can also read and write chinese fairly well. However, I've never finished my university degree although I do have a few years experience in trade (importing clothing from china). Due to a fairly sudden incident recently, I'm now looking at finding a way to go to Hong Kong to work. I've had a look at teaching english, but alas, the lack of a degree made it seem impossible. Even with TESOL. Now after reading through this thread, my chances seem slim for getting a working visa. Now my question is this, what other ways are there for me to work in Hong Kong? I do have family living there (Grandparents and some uncles/aunts and cousins), would that be of any help?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    wingk1314

ahhh... you didn't specify that... you simply said that most didn't have "a degree"..
    No, I said that. And it's true. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just my observation.

wingk1314,

Have you thought about starting a trading operation here and going down the business formation route or joining a family business?

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Have you thought about starting a trading operation here and going down the business formation route or joining a family business?
    I have gave that idea some consideration, but my confidence is held back by the lack of knowledge I have on how businesses operate in HK. I've only dealt with clients from mainland China and I've also heard that starting businesses in HK are considerably more costly. I've thought about having my work based in Shenzhen but that'll defeat the purpose. As for a family business, I unfortunately don't know of any relatives that have well established businesses in HK who can help me out.

Another option for me is to go on a holiday visa for 12 months and find a job during that time. Does anyone know if I am allowed to work while on my holiday visa? Or I could say I need to take care of my grandparents and try to get a dependant visa? Any thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks again!