Like Tree3Likes

What jobs can expats get legally without a degree in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question What jobs can expats get legally without a degree in HK?

I have been searching everywhere, but can't find anything. So has anybody got any suggestions?

We would need more information such as age, experience etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by bg23:
    I have been searching everywhere, but can't find anything. So has anybody got any suggestions?
    As far as I know there is no job that legally says you must have a degree? What skills do you have? Work experience? Languages?

Without a degree- I am no expert but that must be a challenge.

If a company here wanted you because you were an expert in the field then maybe but off the top of my head can't name a job that might apply as so many things like internet, web work, graphics - are heavily populated by HK local people.

Maybe a fashion designer or marketer in luxury brands with a track record.

As jimbo says ... what is the field you are in? Age, experience, etc.

If you are 22 years old and worked just at a few jobs but think you are a cracker web guy it could be very hard to find work here and get sponsored.

The degree shows a degree of expertise and knowledge and then the work history.

The major companies that bring in expats seem to me to bringing in university grads.

Last edited by Football16; 21-01-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Property can be a field too.

Know 1 high end property agent without real proper degrees in her home country but with very good recommendations and track records. she is making very good money here. (she is not western, but asian - not chinese - but I guess it makes no difference)

getting a job won't be an issue so much as getting a VISA.... THAT is where you're going to run into trouble. i can't see immig granting a visa for someone to be a property agent, for example. there are thousands of locals already doing that job that could easily fill the position,

Go and get one off the internet. There are many fake degrees out there and more so there are many people out there who have degrees but shouldn't.

bak875 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    getting a job won't be an issue so much as getting a VISA.... THAT is where you're going to run into trouble. i can't see immig granting a visa for someone to be a property agent, for example. there are thousands of locals already doing that job that could easily fill the position,
    Wrong here.

Say for example you are Korean and you work for a property company that helps Korean companies to reallocate their korean expat to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Wrong here.

Say for example you are Korean and you work for a property company that helps Korean companies to reallocate their korean expat to HK.
    It's true, if you think laterally you can get around anything. I know a British guy who got a visa in Australia as a mobile phone salesman targeting British backpackers because of his "intimate knowledge of British and backpacking culture". Of course, he was mates with the owner of the business. I think plenty of Aussies are able to sell mobile phones!

mat, in that case, there is an obvious skill that a local couldn't provide.

as for hk bureaucracy thinking outside the box.... doesn't happen.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast