View Poll Results: How did you get your post in HK?

Voters
634. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oversea ( email, recruitment fair, etc )

116 18.30%
  • Physically in HK for the job search

139 21.92%
  • Company internal transfer

152 23.97%
  • Through friends/networking

78 12.30%
  • Still searching ( in HK )

102 16.09%
  • Still searching ( elsewhere )

47 7.41%
Like Tree43Likes

How did you land your job in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22

Quote Originally Posted by derryainsworth:
    I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone, I've never been to asia let alone worked here, sure I could have stayed at home, living comfortable with all of my securities, I could have got a job down the road and been working on some council houses or house extensions. But I wanted something more. Not only lessons in my career have been learnt but also life lessons, in relocation and with new cultures. To have this experience in HK under my belt at 23, should really help me when I come to apply for my masters, and should hopefully open some doors for the future. It would be an awful shame to stay in england forever anyway, the world has so much to offer outside of that cloudy little island.
    wow, that's really brave!
    I always wanna do the reverse, lol, i mean, i am a local, and wanna work somewhere else, but find it quite hard to start with. I did working holiday in australia, but my expertise in hk is marketing, which is not quite a mobile skill, so i found it quite hard to get a marketing job in australia.

Hi Everyone,

Would anyone mind looking at my CV and make suggestions to improve the quality of it. I will gladly send it to your e-mail. I just finished my Masters' program in HK and now looking for a permanent job particularly in the logistics or procurement industry in Hong Kong. You assistance is much appreciated.

Only advice I have is keep it to 1 page if you don't have job experience to fill in.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

why don't you try online platforms such as jobsdb, they have lots of listings everyday

Company internal transfer, only for few to several years though. I'd be interested to hear how many people have been in the same situation and then jumped to a different company and signed a local contract.
    I'm working on a project, and when that is done (approx. 1-2 years from now), I'm either going back (don't want to) or need to score a job here. Since there's still time left for me, I haven't started applying for any jobs yet. I've done some searching on the job sites, and my field is not the highest flying on this side of the border unfortunately..
    Does it make my position among the applicants any better that I've stayed here for a while already? They'd need to sponsor my visa though as I'm no permanent resident, so am I just another random-ass foreigner who's unlikely to be noticed (no Mandarin skills and only "chapter 1 basics" level Cantonese)?

Got talking to a guy at a conference in Singapore so
    'networking' (God I hate that term).

Had 3 jobs in HK throughout the years.

blackwings, Nimitz and gigglinggal like this.

Hi there - still searching, not living in HK.
    Good jobs at jobsdb, but most of the interesting ones are with English & Chinese/Cantonese only. :-|
    Any recommendations? Or just continue searching? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Brazzo:
    Hi there - still searching, not living in HK.
    Good jobs at jobsdb, but most of the interesting ones are with English & Chinese/Cantonese only. :-|
    Any recommendations? Or just continue searching? :-D
    What type of job are you looking for? I found my job in HK through an internal transfer when my company asked that I move here and then my wife asked her company to transfer her to HK which they did as well so I guess we are lucky. With that said, I think the need to be bilingual is very dependent on what type of job you are looking for.
    Nimitz likes this.

Mid level management I would say. Product & Marketing Management = my actual job, so I´m searching in this area. Unfortunately our company does not need this position in their HK sourcing office, so I need to search outside.
    I am willing to learn Chinese/Mandarin/Cantonese/..., but I won´t be fluent within xy months, which is a must have for a lot of jobs. Probably someone here is a job hunter? Pls send me a note

Quote Originally Posted by kaku:
    Company internal transfer, only for few to several years though. I'd be interested to hear how many people have been in the same situation and then jumped to a different company and signed a local contract.
    I'm working on a project, and when that is done (approx. 1-2 years from now), I'm either going back (don't want to) or need to score a job here. Since there's still time left for me, I haven't started applying for any jobs yet. I've done some searching on the job sites, and my field is not the highest flying on this side of the border unfortunately..
    Does it make my position among the applicants any better that I've stayed here for a while already? They'd need to sponsor my visa though as I'm no permanent resident, so am I just another random-ass foreigner who's unlikely to be noticed (no Mandarin skills and only "chapter 1 basics" level Cantonese)?
    I was working for a different employer until a week ago. Jumped ship to do a pet project. Basically involved starting up with a group of people. Unfortunately that involved the Chinese language and some long time contacts.

Start looking now if you anticipate your project finishes at the fastest in a year. Attend consular events to see if you can make friends with fellow compatriots. It is best to maintain those friendships after you get the job.