Like Tree4Likes

12000 HKD a month - feasible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

12000 HKD a month - feasible?

I received a job offer (teaching English) however it only pays 12000 HKD per month. Is this enough to live on ok? I.e for housing and daily expenses. The work would be in fortress Hill, so not far from Causeway Bay.

Thank you for any input.

It's just about enough to live on if you get cheap shared accommodation.

You do have the right to work in Hong Kong? Because you wouldn't be able to get an Employment Visa for that sort of job...

Should be OK as long as you keep your expenses down. I get paid $13,000, also for teaching English. I only pay $5000 in rent + bills and $400 for travel. I pack my lunch as meals from restaurants can add up! Be smart with your money. I still manage to save about 3-4k every month!

On a side note, what are your qualifications? I'm a secondary school graduate (just graduated in 2010), not Caucasian. My first job out of secondary school and I'm getting paid $13,000. Just a little point of comparison for you......just be careful, because some dodgy places like to take advantage of people..

xxpinay, out of curiousity,did you get the job through a job agency? I am also not caucasian but I am a Native English speaker. I have applied for many jobs (especially teaching assistants) but not even got a reply. I don't know if it's my age (over 40) or that I haven't worked for a while.

Anyway, congrats on your first job.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrimark:
    I received a job offer (teaching English) however it only pays 12000 HKD per month. Is this enough to live on ok? I.e for housing and daily expenses. The work would be in fortress Hill, so not far from Causeway Bay.

Thank you for any input.
    12000? You can live on 6000 in HK, many, many locals do. But 12000HKD for teaching? It's part time right? Are you qualified? Are you a NET?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    12000? You can live on 6000 in HK, many, many locals do.
    The only reason why they can live on 6K a month is because they live with their parents, all they need to do is give 2K a month to their parents and that takes care of rent/utilities bills and food. they get to spend 4K a month on themselves. If they lived by themselves then it would be very hard if not highly impossible unless they shared a flat with 2-3 others.

Yes, true.

12k is OK though, you'll be able to get by but you won't live the high life.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    The only reason why they can live on 6K a month is because they live with their parents, all they need to do is give 2K a month to their parents and that takes care of rent/utilities bills and food. they get to spend 4K a month on themselves. If they lived by themselves then it would be very hard if not highly impossible unless they shared a flat with 2-3 others.
    Oh, I'm sorry, no matter how hard I looked at the OPs post I couldn't see the part where he says he lives by himself!

"I.e for housing and daily expenses"

Doesnt say for sure that he lives by himself, but the above sentence gives the impression that he wants to know if 12K is enough for housing and daily expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It's just about enough to live on if you get cheap shared accommodation.

You do have the right to work in Hong Kong? Because you wouldn't be able to get an Employment Visa for that sort of job...
    Why not???? That's where i started....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast