PGCE in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I finished my PGDE at HKU last year and, with regard to useful learning, it was a complete waste of two years. However, the certificate is necessary for working in public schools in Hong Kong so I am glad that I now possess the paperwork.

I'm not sure if the certificate is recognized abroad. I know in the United States it depends on a state and local basis.

Last edited by dwoo; 31-03-2007 at 03:10 PM.

The Cay,

Actually other schools offer a PGDE in English...

Open U, City U, IEd.

At IEd you can opt to do extra english major classes in lieu of a second concentration.

BTW stay away from the PGDE (primary English) programme at HKU.

confused!!!! so many contrasting opinions on it!! Thanks a lot, given us food for thought.

timklip/kopi c: are your colleagues who are now in international schools working as proper teachers, or TA?

Dwoo: its always about the paperwork at the end of the day, isnt it?!!

AJJA: what's wrong with the primary english course?

anyway, will call up HKU and find out details of the course. in the meantime, sending off application for NET scheme, altho its pretty late.. , looking at the celta courses too to up my TEFL over the summer... any other alternatives??

Check out the other thread on Diploma in Education under Education forum.

If you read carefully at the postings, it's not so much the program itself but the tutor who's teaching it. It's not worth two years of mental agony learning from someone who is not a qualified nor experienced teacher in the first place. What an irony considering the fact that most of the part-time students are teachers and have been teaching for quite a while. The only thing we lacked is that piece of paper that will allow us to be recognised as qualified teachers.

Thumbs down

IT's the tutor!!!

Funny she doesn't have a B.Ed or M.Ed. and is not trained in primary education. Everything is theoretical. You better have a lot of prior training and experience because you won't get it here!!!