Should I say to my Boss when I want to have a leave?

Closed Thread

Should I say to my Boss when I want to have a leave?

the title should be : Should I say to my Boss the ''reason'' when I want to have a leave?

Hi there,
    I want to know if I MUST specify the reason of my leave (annual leave no extra leave), since in other countries you have the choice of doing it or no! Here seems the bosses are very noisy even when you take a sick leave the doctor must state what kind of disease you have (this kind of things are personal in other countries) what about Hong Kong, anyone knows what the HK laws are saying about this?
    Thank you for your help!

Last edited by hassen.malek; 19-03-2011 at 07:03 PM.

If you want to take annual leave then you just apply for it. It's none of your boss's business why you want it.

The whole sickness thing is pretty hard to keep secret. Friend of mine found that out the hard way when she got sick and discovered her whole work knew about it by the time she got back to work (seems medical stuff is not necessary to keep secret by anyone) - unlike most countries. So why do you want to keep your leave secret? They'll just think you are odd. Maybe easier just to go with the flow?

You don't need to tell the reasons to take annual leave, but I guess your colleagues will ask you personally. It's a casual question if you have a good relationship with them, isn't it?

For sick leave, it is quite a different in Hong Kong. The boss (company) usually would like to have a proof that you were really sick. In fact, some doctors will just write a sick leave paper for money. In Hong Kong, you have to have a doctor's written paper to get a sick leave, otherwise your salary will be deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    You don't need to tell the reasons to take annual leave, but I guess your colleagues will ask you personally. It's a casual question if you have a good relationship with them, isn't it?

For sick leave, it is quite a different in Hong Kong. The boss (company) usually would like to have a proof that you were really sick. In fact, some doctors will just write a sick leave paper for money. In Hong Kong, you have to have a doctor's written paper to get a sick leave, otherwise your salary will be deducted.
    As an employer you know when your staff are faking it and just getting a day off (or going to an interview!). You can't stop it in may ways.

Generally a rule of thumb is two days sick leave you would be requested to get a certificate.

To answer the OP's question, no, the employer doesn't need to know why you are taking sick leave UNLESS it will effect your job. Anyway if your boss or company will appreciate to know if you have an issue as they should support and help where they can.

Thx for the answers guys!!! I just hate noisy people, thats why I always try to protect personal stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by hassen.malek:
    I just hate noisy people
    Then you are in the wrong country

As others have noted, you don't have to inform your boss the reason for your annual leave, and just present the doctor's certificate in case of sick leave, if more than 2 days.