Like Tree2Likes

Chatteris Educational Foundation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Chatteris Educational Foundation

Have any of you heard of or have had experiences with working for Chatteris Educational Foundation (specifically their Graduate English Language Tutor program)? I am debating whether or not I want to apply because I don't know if they are legit or not. I also am curious in general about them and how they operate, etc. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
    I worked for Chatteris as an English Language Teaching Assistant during the 2003-4 academic year. I never had any problems with the organization; in fact, they provided the opportunity for me to begin my career in the Hong Kong public education system, a career that I now would like to kill, sooner rather than later, but that's another story!

Although I never had any problems with Chatteris, many of my colleagues did, and there was a ridiculous turnover rate, which, apparently, still persists to this day. There were many irreconcilable differences between the ELTAs and the management because, to make a most glittering generality, the Chatteris manager is a worst-case, stereotypical Han Chinese Hong Konger, mostly tyrannical, sometimes irrational - this gonzo management style is prevalent in the Hong Kong public education system.

Still, Chatteris is worthwhile because it will open doors for your career here in Hong Kong, and you will also meet tons of other good blokes. In the scenario that you do find the company to be hell, you can always quit and find another job - your visa is good for a year, after all!

Hi Dwoo, thanks for the reply! I keep looking at the Chatteris website and wondering if I should do it. I am graduating Uni in May and am basically free as a bird with no plans and the world at my fingertips, haha. I love HK a lot and have spent two consecutive summers there so far and would love to spend a third, so this program caught my eye. But I dont know if teaching is my thing. I dont have any experience with kids - I've never babysat or worked at a kids summer camp or anything the like. So I dont know if this is something I can do. Do they teach you everything you need to know to teach the kids? Would it be more difficult for me because I have never worked with kids? And can you tell me more about your experiences with the program?

I hope I'm not overloading you with questions, but I just dont know! I really appreciate your help! You might want to PM me from here out so we dont overtake this thread.

we are current Graduate English Language Tutors working for Chatteris,
    I would recommend the program as a great way to work in HK and believe you get as much out of it as you want to put into it.
    Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I feel that the character assasination of the project director in the previous reply is very harsh. If you do your job properely then you will have no problems at all (as with any other course of employment).
    Yes the Chinese/Hong Kong ways and methods are different to those we are accustomed to, but 'when in Rome...'

Your lack of experience is not a problem as long as you show the necessary desire and commitment to work with students in HK.

With regards to legitimacy then rest assured everything is above board and you are well looked after.

Good luck should you choose to apply.

Hi, is there an upper age limit on teachers with Chatteris? My bf is currently doing his CELTA course but graduated several years ago and I wanted to know if he was eligible.
    Thanks

I don't believe there is an upper age limit. You can always check their website - http://www.chatteris.org.hk/home/.

And I apologize for my generalities in my first post for I certainly do not have any axes to grind with the company that established me in Hong Kong. I posited the description of the management as an explanation for the deserters during my year, of whom I was not a part. It is true that doing a job properly is a useful axiom in life; but, based on my own working experience, the discrepancies begin once the mutual understanding of what a good job entails, between employer and employee, is broken. This occurred, I think, many times between the management and my former colleagues, and I continue to attribute this disagreement with differing expectations, exacerbated by cultural management style. Of course, I'll never know exactly what the heck happened that year; thus this history will have to do!

Chatteris, hated it

I pretty much hated working for Chatteris but I think their new Gelta or whatever scheme would have solved all my problems back them. Hi Dwoo, by the way. I worked with Dwoo and was yes, one of the deserters. I just felt back then the pay was poor and the company brought work to our living area too much. I also thought the company was poorly managed and spent too much money on fancy "work lunches" that were unnecessary. To be fair, I would not have made it to HK without working for Chatteris in the first place as it is hard to secure a teaching job for overseas. I worked for a great company though after quitting Chatteris called English Excel. I would say if you want to teach in HK, get a certificate or come with a good resume and past teaching experience. Shack up in a CWB hostel for a week or two, you will get a job without a doubt. Dwoo is probably chuckling at the fact that I still post on this thing, considering I dont even live there anymore.

Srhatton, I miss you :wave . And I laugh heartily knowing you still troll this forum! You :leghump Hong Kong!

I worked for said company in 2005/6, and more or less everything dwoo said is, in my opinion, true. Chatteris is good in that you can move to Hong Kong with no prior teaching experience and meet a lot of like minded people, HOWEVER the pay is abysmal, and the experience you will have depends very much on the school you are placed in, which differ extremely widely.
    With regard to the director, if you keep your head down you will probably have no problems, however if you voice any misgivings or question anything that goes on (ESPECIALLY if it's finance related....daniel and hayley, I'm not sure if you're aware of quite how much money this 'non for profit' organisation makes....) then life can become quite unpleasant.
    I loved Hong Kong, but never in a million years would I work for that compnay again.

Post Chatteris

Well I have to disagree. I am aware of the financial situation of Chatteris and, (through a bit of an accident) am aware exactly what the Director of Chatteris is paid. It is not much at all and actually is quite similar to what a top paid NET teacher gets. Chatteris itself is financially secure, just because it is a Charity I don't think there is anything wrong with that. As for turnover of staff, in my experience it is no more or less than I witness in other international organizations I have worked with. And like those, the turnover of staff was particularly due to cultural issues & problems rather than anything else.

I think it is good that people recognize that Chatteris has done them a service in getting them to Hong Kong and into teaching. But in my opinion Chatteris would not be here at all if it was not for the director. It is less the organization that has provided this experience and more the hard work of one person, and I don't like the character assasination that seems to be taking place.

But everyone is allowed their own opinion.

I know that my time in Chatteris was brilliant and it has served me well for the future. If other people disagree then thats fine but I think there needs to be a pause before people start their little online rants.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast