Various levels of TESOL - or should I choose none of these?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Various levels of TESOL - or should I choose none of these?

::: Eureka Language Education Centre 雅理加語言教育中心 ::: Online TEFL / TESOL Courses | Certificate-level English Teaching Qualifications | Native English Teachers NET | Online Distance Learning

Eureka seems pretty big and are 'in collaboration with' Global English, but the courses are still all online and only cost a few hundred US. Should these online courses be avoided? I emailed a few language centers asking what their preferences are, but I'm keeping in mind they are centers and not schools.

However, there's also these cheaper courses, but I don't see any mention of being accredited.

This one was discussed and taken by a few on geoexpat:
    TEFL Course: 40 Online Course Details

And I really like these people, seem genuinely interested in helping teachers out with advice. They also give serious, personal answers to everybody on yahooanswers.com, often times without even posting a link to their website.

Contact ICAL

Last edited by JamesW; 23-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.

FYI, the i-to-i online course is not approved by the HK Education Bureau. So if you are only looking for the letters after your name and not to be a properly recognised teacher then go ahead and take their very cheap course.

If you're serious about teaching why not do the CELTA at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    FYI, the i-to-i online course is not approved by the HK Education Bureau.

Can't find the list of approved courses on the website - could you direct me? I'm thinking of going with the Eureka (Global English) course, which is accredited here:
    Fully accredited members and applicant members listings - ACTDEC

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    If you're serious about teaching why not do the CELTA at least?
    I don't have much time (or money to spend) before I'm due back for the states.
    Last edited by JamesW; 23-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Courses in the States may work out to be cheaper than those in Hong Kong. CELTA isn't offered here, but Trinity CertTESOL is, and these two are the most widely accepted basic-level teaching certificates. The Trinity CertTESOL course on offer in Hong Kong is said to be just about the most expensive in the world (due to rents etc.). A similarly reputable course in the US is bound to work out cheaper.

As for on-line courses, some places do accept them but beware of bold claims such as "fully accredited" - accredited by whom? and does the accrediting institution carry any weight in the real world?

Yep, courses are certainly cheaper in the states, but it's also much harder to secure a job in HK from there.

ACTDEC looks pretty serious on their website and have been around since '93.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredi...cation_Courses

Last edited by JamesW; 24-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.

CELTA used to be offered at the British Council - check with them.

Couldn't you go to Dave's Cafe for more recommendations?

I'm not clear on the time / cost constraints. You're going back to the States, but want to find a EFL job in HK. You haven't got long before you go back, so you're looking for a short course. I'm missing something. Are you heading back to the States for a while regardless of whether you find a job here, or are you hoping that landing a teaching job could negate the need to go back?

The British Council no longer offers CELTA, and in any case this would be a minimum 1-month intensive study, just like the Trinity TESOL. You would also need to be on either a dependent visa or a study visa in order to take on a course like that.

The Trinity TESOL course is offered part-time and is possible to do on a work visa or dependent visa, however that's a 3-month stretch.

Not sure how well you have researched ACTDEC, but I'd be inclined not to stop at the University of Wikipedia. A Google search or two further turns up more information upon which to base your decision.

If all you're looking to do is find a basic EFL job that will provide a visa, then CELTA / Trinity TESOL may not be necessary, but from the variety of short, cheap, on-line alternatives, I really don't think it matters which one you choose.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast