Chances for Employment

Closed Thread

Chances for Employment

Hi all, firstly congratulations on an excellent collection of information here.

I'm hoping to hear your opinions and advice on my chances of finding employment and sponsorship in HK, here are my details:

-28 years old, Australian national with rudimentary Cantonese
    -Not a degree holder (yet) but have just completed a Diploma of Facilities Management from UNE in Australia
    -Have been employed by several Fortune 500 companies for the last 10 years in various roles including: retail management, customer relations and credit risk, helpdesk, contractor and facility management.
    -My present role is to implement, train and support users on ERP, purchasing, leasing and sustainability management systems for large corporate clients(which I've been doing for 2 years now). The role has me leading these systems for Australia and New Zealand.

I'm hoping to transfer within my company to HK but I'd like to be looking at other options at the same time (if that's possible). I'm thinking with my diverse background of industries that I could consider project management, training or business development type roles.

What do you think of my chances of competing for jobs with locals and getting sponsorship? Any recommended recruiters or job sites would also be appreciated.

Thanks again and hope to be joining you in the fragrant harbour city soon

As a 28 year old Australian you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa which would let you get here and get networking.

Otherwise (and in any case after your 1 year Working Holiday Visa) your fundamental problem is that in principle you can only get an Employment Visa if you have specific skills or experience that cannot be found in the local workforce, and it is rare for Employment Visas to be granted to non-graduates. However, an internal transfer offers the best hope since the company could perhaps argue that you have special skills and knowledge which can only be built through spending time working for them. I believe that internal transfers are the most common route to Employment Visas (excluding teachers).