How Sacred Is Expected Salary?

Question How Sacred Is Expected Salary?

hi folks, i'm currently on a prowl for a new job. i'm only 6months here.

so how sacred is the "EXPECTED SALARY" in our resumes? i'm only actually quoting for my industry standard salary. do companies here normally haggle for salaries? or do companies just totally ignore resumes of candidates who quote more than what they (companies) are willing to pay?

thanks.

I've never put an expected salary on my CV. Far better to get them really, really wanting you before you get to the point where you talk about price.

u only lose by putting i think.
    once u put it in, that's the cap they will give.

though in a way, if you job is very commoditised, then putting it in wld also give people an idea if they can even afford you in the first place.

Expected Salary most of the time serves as a deliberate trap to weed out overly expensive candidates while placing a cap on those who price themselfves cheaply. My advise....DON'T DO IT! If really pushed for a number ahead of the interview, say something like "I'm open to all reasonable market offers" or "I don't have a specific figure in mind and will carefully weigh any offer based on the right opportunity" ....Basically just keep it very generic. If they really want you after the interview...that's when $ conversation starts.

Thumbs up

PDLM, freeier, climber07, thanks for the inputs, guys. i was just testing the waters since i'm a newbie here. so it's still basically similar to US or most western countries as far as salary nego is concerned.