Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

No Tax demand for 2010/2011 yet - Do I need to report this

Closed Thread

Question No Tax demand for 2010/2011 yet - Do I need to report this

I've still not recieved my tax demand for 2010/11.
    ..Is this normal? I thought they usually go out in Jan? At which point would I need to report this to the IRD?

I've mentioned it to my HR/payroll officer at work but she is little or no help with advice.

I received my 2009/10 tax demand, paid this and also completed my tax return in 2010 (can't remember the exact dates.)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The tax year starts April 1, so the previous one only just ended! You'll get a return to complete from the IRD in May time; the bill/demand comes later in the year and you pay in January/April next year for 2010/11.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 08-04-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Blimey - one week into the new tax year and he wants a demand! As an employer we have not filled out our "how much employees earned" forms yet!

dont worry, the govt is overflowing with so much money, it still cant decide how to give some back.

virago likes this.

Cool so I can invest that tax money in beer & gadgets and worry about it next Jan!

Thanks guys for the quick response. Actually as I'm just waiting for my bonus check before handing in my notice and heading off to pastures new, I wanted to make sure I was up to date with tax. So as it stands I guess I'll have to settle any outstanding taxes just before I leave HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlay:
    Actually as I'm just waiting for my bonus check before handing in my notice and heading off to pastures new,
    Yes, you are the employees we love to hate!

Actually as I'm just waiting for my bonus check before handing in my notice and heading off to pastures new, I wanted to make sure I was up to date with tax. So as it stands I guess I'll have to settle any outstanding taxes just before I leave HK.
    Your employer is legally obliged to withhold your last pay cheque in that situation until they have notification from IRD that you have cleared your tax debts.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Yes, you are the employees we love to hate!
    I never understood the concept behind delayed bonus payments. As my bonus is for 2010 it was confirmed exactly how much I would be getting in early Jan 2011. However it's not paid until mid April and if you leave or resign before this you don't get it

I never understood the concept behind delayed bonus payments. As my bonus is for 2010 it was confirmed exactly how much I would be getting in early Jan 2011. However it's not paid until mid April and if you leave or resign before this you don't get it
    That's exactly why one big bonus payment is flawed!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    That's exactly why one big bonus payment is flawed!
    Absolutely, and I cannot understand why my company has just introduced it, saying it means our interests ar therefore more alligned with the company's. Quarterly rolling payments, 3 months in arrears make much more sense from an employee retention / avoid everyone resigning at the same time point of view.