How to apply for jobs in HK

Closed Thread

How to apply for jobs in HK

Hi people,

I am new to this forum and I have been reading what you guys and girls have wrote.

What I want to know is how do you find work in HK? I tried to apply online to the major banks; however, I have not recieved a reply from any of them. Do they call overseas to interview you or not? Also, I am a canadian citizen without a valid work permit. Will they hire me or will that affect my application status? What banks will hire foreign workers? I am kind of fustrated because it is hard try and contact somebody in HK. would it be better if I was in HK when I apply for these jobs? I am scared to just move there and give up my job here now not knowing what the future possibilities are. Say I was in HK, where and how can I find some jobs that are willing to help sponsor my visa? I know my fellow expat's will be able to help me. Please provide me with some insight and maybe we can meet in HK one of these days.

I found my job through an agency in the UK without leaving the UK. All interviews were conducted via the telephone and meeting people in the organisation in the UK office. They are applying for a work permit for me too. As far as I know a number of agencies have started recently operating in the UK looking for people to work in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by mfc:
    I found my job through an agency in the UK without leaving the UK. All interviews were conducted via the telephone and meeting people in the organisation in the UK office. They are applying for a work permit for me too. As far as I know a number of agencies have started recently operating in the UK looking for people to work in HK.
    Hi, can I ask which agency you used? I have a friend in London who wants to make the move to HK but like many doesn't know where to start (unfortunately I'm not a lot of help as I'm a HK permanent resident and have never had to bother with a work visa here). Thanks!

Hi,
    I'm also looking to move to HK and am looking for a job in Investment Banking so would love to hear of the recruitment agency she used.

thanks

I think you might have trouble finding a job here from overseas if you're looking for any kind of a lower position. The immigration paperwork required likely manages to scare off employers and HR departments are often notoriously lazy.

I don't know if it was blind luck or what, but I got a job the first time I mentioned in the initial e-mail that I already had a visa and no sponsorship was required on their part.

*deleted* ... clicked wrong button :|

What does that mean? Are you lying? Do tell of these agencies that provided these magical jobs and then get your head out of the clouds and come back to the real world!

there is a raising trend that some HR rather let the position vacant because of the work permit......i think only Ibank are the most willing to take in expats in HK.

They are short of ppl of my skills,but many HR will rather keep the position empty eventhough they cant find ppl to fill in.....resume was screened out before reaching the managers.....that was told by a few job agents....the skills were match and there was no local applicants..but HR told them not wanting ppl who need work permit...

i think a few others here are experiencing similar situation...

Last edited by links; 04-05-2007 at 08:44 PM.