Cameras in the classroom

Closed Thread

Cameras in the classroom

Hi Everybody

Recently my boss has been talking about putting cameras in every room in the office! This includes the staffroom! Is this allowed?? Do I have any right to say no to this?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks
    S

What's his rationale of it? I know in some schools including the one that I currently work for and the one that I used to work for, have CCTVs. It is for security purposes. But to spy on teachers, that would put the principal is very bad light. We have cameras in the class at times only when the TA comes in the tape down some parts of the lesson for lesson observations or for other purposes but never to use it against the teachers. If the principal insists of putting a camera in the staff room, well, you could ask to put one in his office and whatever he does can be viewed in the staff room. This is to be fair for everyone.

Angry

He thinks that we need more security around the school!

I hate the idea of having someone watch my every move. I usually get changed in the classroom but will now have to change in the dirty toilet.

Not happy..

We have a meeting about it today.. Maybe I should run it by him to have one installed so I can watch him scratch his arse!

Quote Originally Posted by sunline:
    He thinks that we need more security around the school!

I hate the idea of having someone watch my every move. I usually get changed in the classroom but will now have to change in the dirty toilet.

Not happy..

We have a meeting about it today.. Maybe I should run it by him to have one installed so I can watch him scratch his arse!
    Hahaha...That'll be a good one! Tell him that his office needs security too!

Security? Against what? This isn't Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Security? Against what? This isn't Virginia!
    security aka spying on teachers.....

~it is allowed and .....

Quote Originally Posted by sunline:
    Hi Everybody

Recently my boss has been talking about putting cameras in every room in the office! This includes the staffroom! Is this allowed?? Do I have any right to say no to this?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks
    S
    also allowed :
    ~monitor of email & internet
    ~monitor of phone calls

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkAbout:
    also allowed :
    ~monitor of email & internet
    ~monitor of phone calls
    Yes but has to comply with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance in terms of the collection of any "personal data" (I assume they are recording the CCTV stuff).

There are various principles in terms of data protection that the school must follow as well and a guide can be found on the government web site http://www.pcpd.org.hk/ in relation to the collection of personal data in the workplace. Compliants about invasions of privacy can also be made to the same body.

What if you become famous?

This could actually be a ploy that your principal has come up with for a reality tv show. Could be fun - You should make up a contract for your principal to sign ensuring that if this does ever go public, that you get royalties.

Survivor comes to China,
    and Big Brother now here comes to Hong Kong, thanks to your principal.

Yesss!!!!

Last edited by Dharma Bum; 19-04-2007 at 08:27 PM.

sunline, I just snorted ice cream up my nose laughing at your post.