Like Tree9Likes

Can you please help me comment on this offer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Can you please help me comment on this offer

Hello everyone!

After a while just reading this forum (it's great btw) I finally post here, since I've just got the draft of my offer today.
    Honestly it disappointed me at the first sight, but maybe I just had unrealistic expectation?
    So I'm just gonna be open and ask what you would think about this relocation offer:
    I'm moving within the same company from Germany to Hong Kong but it's a local contract and not an expat one (whysoever). Monthly salary would be 23K plus 7K housing allowance.
    Basically I get the same net as here in Germany, but half of the holidays, which kind of means a drop. Besides, I'm afraid not to be able to find any apartment for 7K, which means I have to pull out some from the salary to pay for rent.
    Is 23K+7K already a damn good offer and I'd better be happy with that or is it realistic to negotiate for more? Me personally, as long as I can live normally without worrying too much about the bill, and manage to save something on the side and not just wait from pay check to pay check, I'm fine with the salary. But is it possible to negotiate holidays?

Thanks so much for your comments!

Peace,
    Vani

how much euro are you making in germany, do you have family, how old, lifestyle? hard to answer else

I get 3,5K a month, but in net it's 2K, yes we DO pay tax.
    I'm single and don't count on luxury, the most money I spend is on traveling, but rather in backpacking style.

How much annual leave are you being offered? Also add on the public holidays which are generous compared to many countries: See here for next year.

Income taxes are lower in Hong Kong than in Germany; that should allow you to improve your net take home somewhat.

I'm offered 14 days compared to 30 days I have now in Germany.
    Public holidays in Germany are like 12-13 days depends where... but there is no such "replacement" if a public holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday. I've heard you get a replacement for the case of Sunday in HK?

Whats the job (industry) how many years exp do u have? any commission?

Last edited by bak875; 10-05-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Any cost of living adjustments built-in to offer? I have friends who are nearing the end of their lease signed 18 months ago and they will have to move out because of the spike in rent far exceeds their fixed housing allowance. If they had negotiated a cost-of-living adjustment, their allowance would have increased along with the rent.
    At the very least, the company should keep you even with your compensation/standard of living back home.
    If you are not on an expat package, does that mean you pay/arrange the move yourself?

The 14 days holiday is normal for local staff, but low for expat staff. See if you can get 22 days - or maybe ask for 26, and settle for 22.

Quote Originally Posted by vanichen:
    Basically I get the same net as here in Germany, but half of the holidays, which kind of means a drop. Besides, I'm afraid not to be able to find any apartment for 7K, which means I have to pull out some from the salary to pay for rent.
    Firstly, I'm not suggesting you don't come. The experience may be worthwhile and so on.

But, IMO your company is taking the absolute piss. The same net............so, they get to save money and give you less holidays, wtf. It's not your company's business what happens to your income tax money! Just because they pay it on your behalf a lot of companies take the view that they can cut your pay accordingly when they transfer you to HK. Me, I would say no change to my current terms and conditions, take it or leave it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast