Like Tree4Likes

how did u expats get a job without fluent cantonese???

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The answer to the OP's question is, I believe, that the majority of employed expats came here first either as English teachers or as internal transfers within multinationals.

cheers for the help guys appreciate it unlike some....i had no idea theres private clubs for fitness instructor for english speaking expats, people talking down on me pisses me off.

It is a general rule that the best way to get a job is to understand the companies you want to employ you and the market they operate in. So if you don't know how the fitness industry operates in HK, you are already several steps behind.

BenderBends likes this.

well then im several steps behind then, i had to suddenly move to hk from uk so didnt really have time to look into it. i live in the new territories area so gyms around here i would need good cantonese, fitness first in quarry bay aswell i needed good cantonese they said. now i know there are private clubs i will defo look into it

Last edited by AndyHo10; 02-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.

There is a guy in the Gold Coast Marina who is basically a personal trainer. I don't think he speaks any Canto. He pretty much started his own firm, hired some space from the club and put a few posters up. He seems to be doing ok. You might want to wander along and talk to him - if he needs more people he might want to help, if not he might give you some pointers.

The problem isn't just Cantonese... even if you get a job offer in this industry, you might find that it's an extremely low salary compared to your expectations. The level of English required isn't that high, so there are plenty of locals who are competing with you, have Cantonese and mandarin as well as reasonable English, and will accept a low salary.

A career change may well be a good option.