Like Tree4Likes

how did u expats get a job without fluent cantonese???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how did u expats get a job without fluent cantonese???

Recently moved to HK and ive had a few interviews for fitness instructor jobs but been let down because of my cantonese is not the best.

so how did u lot get a job without having fluent cantonese? or what type of jobs u applied for which u didnt need fluent cantonese?

might have to consider to change path but looking to attend a cantonese course to help me out a little.

Last edited by AndyHo10; 01-06-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Try the private clubs that cater to expats, by these I mean places like the American Club etc. Tough to get in but might be worth trying if you're well qualified and they've had someone leave recently.

Football16 likes this.

Try some of the bootcamps like Circuit 25, they are mainly expats and don't need Canto.

You get a job without cantonese by being in a market that serves non cantonese speakers. So for a fitness instructor, the clubs that serve mainly expats. For a consultant like myself, for clients who speak English. For marketers - for marketing to expats. And so on. I would not have thought it was rocket science.

Football16 and martinmaginn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You get a job without cantonese by being in a market that serves non cantonese speakers. So for a fitness instructor, the clubs that serve mainly expats. For a consultant like myself, for clients who speak English. For marketers - for marketing to expats. And so on. I would not have thought it was rocket science.
    You should charge him for that excellent consultation you just gave

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Maybe some of them aren't potty trained yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHo10:
    Recently moved to HK and ive had a few interviews for fitness instructor jobs but been let down because of my cantonese is not the best.

so how did u lot get a job without having fluent cantonese? or what type of jobs u applied for which u didnt need fluent cantonese?

might have to consider to change path but looking to attend a cantonese course to help me out a little.
    Have you tried Fitness First?
    Last edited by JaredHK; 01-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    You should charge him for that excellent consultation you just gave
    Absolutely. That's what consultancy is all about. The science of selling applied common sense.

or try the locations that have more expats; say, discovery bay or sai kung...there must be fitness places in those locations that cater to english-speaking folk... i know of Curves, but as you're a guy, you are unlikely to find something there...

How about Pure Soho and/or IFC? And yes you should dig up websites/info on private clubs such as American Club, LRC, Yau Yat Chuen at Kowloon Tong, to name a few... see if they are hiring, but it might be a while before you hear from anyone that is if there's any job vacancy at all..in the mean time
    are you qualified to be a PE teacher at schools? Very few schools would still hire people without pgde for most subjects but sports are still not that important in local curriculum and the local schools *might* take you even without formal teaching degrees. I think you should just send out as many applications as possible.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast