Like Tree5Likes

Salary in Marketing (online media)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Salary in Marketing (online media)

Hi all,

Hoping for some input on this one. I've recently been given a pay rise and would like to bounce it off this community and hear your thoughts. I work in online media, and the network here is very small. As such, gauging the correct salary level is tough - and I only really have the UK to bench mark off (which doesn't have the same living costs as HK).

Back Story: I've been in HK 2 years. I transferred from London. 29 yrs old. I work in online media and have 6 yrs experience in the industry. The company I work for is a NASDAQ listed multinational. Current monthly take home = 35k HKD. No rental allowance. Bonus of 100k HKD a year (normally achieve about 80k HKD).

Current situation: 5% salary increase! So now about 37,000 HKD a month.

Now, I don't feel the pay rise is comparable to the significant hike in living costs in HK over the past 2 years (rent etc). My current lease on a 13k apartment runs out in July. I'm beginning to feel like I'm being priced out of HK.

Having said that, perhaps my salary expectations have become warped by banker friends....whose monthly rental allowance is significantly more than my take home.

Very keen to get some input on what is a realistic HK salary for my experience and industry.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by sam.uk; 03-06-2011 at 05:24 PM.

What is it that you do, actually?

I am also in the marketing field , 3 years experience and earn half your salary!

Have been working here for almost a year, without any pay raise!

So I think your salary is pretty decent for your experience.

Cheers

my salary is two third of what belgian made...and I thought I'm making a decent one...

i employ people in the marketing field (product managers and brand managers) and they earn under $10k under you without a bonus. the locals don't generally live on the island and rent for half of what you pay. Also if you are spending time with your banker friends it will become expensive.

[QUOTE=sam.uk;1533329]Having said that, perhaps my salary expectations have become warped by banker friends....whose monthly rental allowance is significantly more than my take home.

QUOTE]

yes! The situation would be the same whether you are in Hong Kong or in any other city in the world. Silicon Valley could be different.

Last edited by eastwing; 06-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Is earning under $10k standard for managers? If so what about executives and graduates like me?

If you genuinely manage people (have hire & fire and disciplinary power, for example - if you don't then you're a supervisor not a manager) then under $10K would be unusual. But if you are a "product manager" (without P&L responsibility) or "brand manager" (ditto) or "office manager" then under $10K is not so unusual.

What is your level? I work for an international media agency and at 30 was earning over double what you are. That was with 7 years experience, but mostly Asia experience, and director level / regional responsibilities. Similar salaries as mine for most expats of that level I worked with. Same with the advertising agency I worked for before that.

That's strange because I earn under $10k in my PR Marketing job (Digital Product Exec for a company similar to Ogilvy) and I get the impression from my colleagues that I earn a lot less than them. Especially as my boss said I was great value for money about 2 months ago...After probation when I asked for a raise I got denied, I got more work for my effort instead. -_-

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast